Ordered a new Rod Today

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Ordered a new Rod Today

Post by Salmon King » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm learning (or trying to) how to fish for Kokanee.
I own 37 rods and none of them (other than my 5wt. Flyrod) are soft enough for catching Kokanee.
So while I was buying my license today I asked about special ordering a Kokanee trolling rod.
I ordered an 8' Eagle Claw Kokanee rod -- $25.
It should be here Wed.
Next item needed is the proper reel . I hate line counters so I'm wondering what Reels you all use.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Ordered a new Rod Today

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:07 am

Anything small, 100 series will work. Either round profile or bass casting style. Your Rod Plays The Fish most of the time. Reel drag seldom comes into play. Meaning this is an area you can save miney. You don't have to buy the most expensive. I go with moderate priced shimano corvalus round reels. They run $70s

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks mike....
Maybe I'll see you on the water!

If you're on Cavanaugh and see a little 12' Blue and White Hi-Laker feel free to come on by and say hi!
I'm the guy that will obviously NOT know what he's doing...

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 pm

will do. To one extend or another we all can learn new trips and techniques. Enjoy the journey!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:46 pm

I bought some of that braid with different colors every 25' and black lines every 5'. I like it! I have one reel with a counter and a bunch that don't. I have a combination of spin and casting stuff but have gone more casting lately for just about everything. Went with the Cabela's/Diawa on most of them. They had a sale and I picked up what, 6 I think? The spin stuff is a mix. couple of cheap reels that work like, cheap reels. I have one old Zebco Cardinal that still works awesome and a Diawa that is a really nice reel/pole combo I got for working 25 years at a company...

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24004

This is what I use on a few poles. Love them, the clicker is the weak point but easy enough to change when they go bad. I no longer leave the clicker on when lowering the line into the water via DR.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Hunter,

I have an extra 6600 in a box, a couple of older Diawa Millionaires too (but they need new gear because the nylon gears are stripped from Salmon fishing).
I thought the 6600 would be overkill on what amounts to a trout.
I'm going to look for a pint-sized bait caster for the new rod.
In the mean time...I'll use the flyrod I set up with sinking line just for Kokanee.
Last edited by Salmon King on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

I bought that exact rod at the sportsman's show in Tacoma recently. Then I ordered an Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile reel (~$45). I plan to use them both for the 1st time, when I head to the Banks area in 10 days. Best of luck!