alpine lakes wilderness area

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
viet
Petty Officer

alpine lakes wilderness area

Post by viet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:39 pm

ok so i'm gonna hike up to mason lake in a couple weekends for a weekend trip. the plan was to go down to little kulla kulla lake, but that involves climbing down a rock slide. There are no trails to this lake. The ladies are coming with us. So i dont know if they would be able to handle climbing down a rock slide with 50lb bags on their backs.

The question is, has anyone ever been to Little Mason Lake? There is a trail that leads to that lake and its not as big as mason lake or little kulla kulla; So it would be easier to fish.

We are also bringing our dogs. At little Kulla Kulla I wouldnt really have to worry about the dogs because you are in a crater (Really steep wall of mountain surrounding the lake) and the dogs have no were to run off(like if they caught sent of an animal and followed it). Is Little Mason like this or would one be able to lose sight of the dogs? I camped on Mason once and by the time we realized the dog was gone she was one the otherside of the lake. This was 2o'clock in the morning. pitch dark. she had caught scent of something and chased it to the other side of the lake. Probably a deer. Don't want that to happen again :-&
there's nothing better than standing on the side of a lake or river knowing that only a handful of people have stood in that exact spot and witness the beauty of mother nature first hand.

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:alpine lakes wilderness area

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:02 pm

Use 2lb test, it make's a difference in the clear water of alpine lakes. Bring salmon egg's, natural works better than powerbait for wild trout.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:15 pm

wow. i wouldn't recommend anybody climbing down a rock slide with a 50 lb pack on. just doesn't seem like a safe thing to do. that's my two cents that you didn't ask for :)

i've hiked up to Mason a couple times on the Ira Spring Trail. I think it's a great little lake, but a killer of a climb.

unfortunately, i don't know the area beyond Mason Lake. a book i have says Little Mason is ".3 miles away (from Mason) and is sometimes quite brushy and muddy, and is regularly stocked with rainbows." that's all the info it gives. that's from a great little book called Washington's Central Cascade Fishing Guide by Dave Shorett. it's a guide for lakes and streams in North Bend, Snoqualmie Pass, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, and Cle Elum.

please post a report of your trip. i've yet to fish any of the Alpine Lakes, so i'm curious to see how you do. good luck!
Suzanne

viet
Petty Officer

Post by viet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:15 pm

so the plan is to hike up to little mason this weekend and if we cant find a decent spot to camp we'll try to make it down to little kulla kulla. i've climbed down the rockslide to little kulla kulla before, but this time i think we might try navigating our way down the west bank. that is the way we came up last time i was there. i'm excited to make this trip.

Little Kulla kulla is only 3-4 acres, so its more of a big pond. there are so many trout in this lake! on the northeast side there is a little creek that runs out into big kulla kulla. all the trout hang out by the creek. you can see what seems like hundreds of them, but its probably about a hundred not more. some are of decent size too. i pulled in one that was 18" last time. we kept one about 12" for dinner, but released the rest.

thanks for the info on the book danno, i'll have to try to find a copy.
there's nothing better than standing on the side of a lake or river knowing that only a handful of people have stood in that exact spot and witness the beauty of mother nature first hand.