Deer Lake (Yakima County)

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
joetucker803
Petty Officer

Deer Lake (Yakima County)

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Deer Lake is another wonderful alpine lake, and very easy hike (roughly four miles round trip). It is a fairly large Lake located off the Pacific Crest Trail off of White Pass. Reaching the PCT to the lake is pretty easy. Just East of White Pass (on the East Side of Leech Lake), is FS499. This paved road winds around to a small campground around leech lake, along with some parking by the trail (see included topo view).

The only semi challenging part of the hike is the initial half mile, but even a person that is out of shape could complete this task. From here, the trail flattens out and is quite scenic. Deer Lake is not directly off of the PCT, there is a small spur trail that leads to it (maybe .10 miles from the Crest trail to the actual lake). Once again, see included topo for this part of the trail. The spur trail is very recognizable, and you'll know you have reached it at about two miles in. There will be a very large open meadow to your right hand side. When you find the meadow, keep an eye out for the spur trail to your left.

The lake is beautiful and has easy shore access for fishing. To my knowledge the lake holds Cutthroat and Rainbows. I have only made this trip once, however, and it was fall. I was very happy to catch a very nice Cutthroat out of this alpine lake! Elevation is almost 5300 feet, so dress accordingly and bring mosquito repellent.

Mike, this one is in Yakima County as well, in case you want to add it to the index.
Attachments
IMG_0748.jpg
What you can expect
fsdsdfg.jpg
where to look for spur trail
deerlakepct.jpg
parking and trail head
Last edited by joetucker803 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Re: Deer Lake (Yakima County)

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm

A few other relevant photos.
Attachments
IMG_0742.jpg
Look for spur trail at this big meadow
IMG_0745.jpg
the lake

cwbraue
Petty Officer

Re: Deer Lake (Yakima County)

Post by cwbraue » Thu May 28, 2015 6:52 am

It has Cutthroat and Brook trout, I didn't catch any rainbows when I was there last year.