Mirror Lake (Kittitas County) Golden Trout

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
joetucker803
Petty Officer

Mirror Lake (Kittitas County) Golden Trout

Post by joetucker803 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am

The title says it all.

Has anyone on this forum ever fished Mirror Lake for Golden Trout? The WDFW shows that there were 750 planted in 2013, 570 in 2012 (and so on). I'm assuming these fish would be sizable to catch by now.

The hike into this lake is very short (just over a mile), so I'm sure it does see a fair amount of pressure compared to the other few lakes in Washington that contain Golden's.

Does anyone have any special tactics, tricks, or locations on this body of water? I am not a fly fisherman. I do have fly gear and water bobbers for my spinning reel. I plan to target using Kastmasters or Mepps. If that fails, I have the woolly bugger, floating bobber set up. And if all that fails, I will try actual bait -- worms, power eggs, etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Re: Mirror Lake (Kittitas County) Golden Trout

Post by Dave M » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Joe,
I have been up there a few times, have not caught anything, did have one jump at my lure as it came out of the water, never got another follow. Fished with roostertails, flys under the clear bobber and with worms. Although the last time I didn't have as much time and it was around noon. Still going to hit the lake up again this year and looking for some other Golden lakes to try. The road should be snow free by now, but I would check first.
Dave

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Saw a few trip reports for mirror lake, looks like it is clear of snow. Lots of bugs.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 am

I've hiked a raft into mirror, but no luck. Cottonwood is good for Brookies.