Walleye and Western Washington

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gordon Lee
Angler

Walleye and Western Washington

Post by Gordon Lee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 am

I have heard that Walleye fishing is fun, so where can I fish for these in Western Washington?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Walleye and Western Washington

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:10 am

Gordon, I have been told that there are a few in the lower Columbia River, just up from the brackish water, but I have never fished for them there. The guides told me that the numbers were low, but the size was good (late 1990's).

Other then that, there are no Walleye west of the Cascades. Walleye started in the upper Columbia, in Roosevelt, migrated downstream through irrigation canals, etc., and are now in several bodies of water in the connecting waterway. Walleye were not introduced by the WDF&G in the beginning, and if they could go back in time they would have prevented their introduction, but they are here now, great to eat, fun to catch, but not really suited to our conditions and native prey species.

We have some huge Walleye in Roosevelt and in the Columbia, but most are quite small. I once saw a study from the WDF&F that said that the average Walleye in Roosevelt was 14", but a few were in the 30" range. Walleye eat lots of minnows and leaches, neither of which are numerous in our waters, so I would think that an intentional plant West of the Cascades is not planned in any future we would see.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 am

AA comments are spot on. The closest consistent walleye fishing to the Puget Sound region is Moses Lake/Potholes. There are a few in the Wanapum Pool and some in Evergreen Reservoir if you want to shave some time or mileage off of a trip.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 am

Anglinarcher wrote:.....Other then that, there are no Walleye west of the Cascades.......
I don't know if that is 100% correct.....:-k
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... utn13.html

Just being a smart-@$$. What G and AA say are correct, there is no fishery for them over here that I'm aware of. Good luck if you go searching for them on the East Side.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 am

BentRod wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:.....Other then that, there are no Walleye west of the Cascades.......
I don't know if that is 100% correct.....:-k

Just being a smart-@$$. What G and AA say are correct, there is no fishery for them over here that I'm aware of. Good luck if you go searching for them on the East Side.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

I know for a fact that there at least WERE wayeys in the lake as about 10 yeara ago a guy I worked with told me he put some/a couple in after catching the fish in Moses/Banks/Potholes/Roosevelt. Whichever lake he mentioned, I forget.
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 am

OK, I stand corrected. Their are walleye west of the cascades, but I suggest you have more time then brains if you plan on targeting them. #-o :shaking2: LOL
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

marcusdismas
Angler

Re: Walleye and Western Washington

Post by marcusdismas » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:38 am

ok. i know personally they are in lakes washington and sammamish (& cedar river,) because i know personally people that have caught them there before.
in these waters their prevalent forage are invertebrates like crawfish, as well as yellow perch...both of which are rather plentiful.
back in 2008, weeks after getting back from overseas and out of the army confided that he and several others from eastern washington had been introducing fry and fingerlings to the two lakes, as well as other places in hopes of creating a breeding population. he indicated they'd been doing it for some time, and used the term "boatloads and bucketfuls"to describe how much/many. he told me that they were stuck in the seattle area for employment reasons, and felt the fishing mostly...well, the words weren't "family friendly." i certainly can empathize, having grown up in the seattle area...where its trout, salmon or wasting your time.
i did, however point out a few places where he could pull limits on VERY large yellow perch with consistency in either lake. he just shrugged and said "more food for the walleye."
now, i've never caught one of these walleyes, but then again, weeks later and i was relocated to colorado springs. however, i do know others still living in the area that have caught them with increasing size and frequency. one of these days, i will have to make a trip back to see for myself.
what gets me somewhat uncertain is i'm also getting reports of norther pike in the lakes as well!