Sunnies/Bass in Bothell

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
santoroman
Angler

Sunnies/Bass in Bothell

Post by santoroman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Anyone else notice more sunnies and bass down by the Bothell landing and up stream? Took a walk out there a few hours ago (no rod in hand, forgot to get the new lic) and all I saw were sunnies and one monster bass. Not sure what the hatch was but sunnies were taking things off the top near the bushes. Time to get my lic online! Just though a few nerds would like to know there was some life moving around.

santo

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Sunnies/Bass in Bothell

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Santo,
Thanks for the tip. I was going to fish it soon actually. I am not familiar with the term, "Sunnies" are you talking about Pumpkinseed, or what some people call, Sunfish?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Are you from the Midwest? We always called them sunnies when I lived in Minnesota

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:08 pm

kzoo wrote:Are you from the Midwest? We always called them sunnies when I lived in Minnesota
So OK.... I have my Ohio/Midwest friend over my shoulder. I have determined that Sunnies refers to bluegill/punkin'seed/spiney rays, etc. i.e. panfish in the NW. alright now....

jaywhy
Angler

Post by jaywhy » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am

I grew up in seattle and our panfish growing up were crappie, bluegill, perch, rock bass, and pumpkinseed/sunfish. Love catching those things

Where in bothell is the landing? I know log boom park has big smallmouth and a good amount of panfish as well.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 am

looks like pontoon time on the slough, hopefully the mosquitos arent too bad yet
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 01, 2014 11:39 am

jaywhy wrote:I grew up in seattle and our panfish growing up were crappie, bluegill, perch, rock bass, and pumpkinseed/sunfish. Love catching those things

Where in bothell is the landing? I know log boom park has big smallmouth and a good amount of panfish as well.
Just google Bothel Landing.
It is around the bend on Bothel HWy as you come N, past Kenmore.

jaywhy
Angler

Post by jaywhy » Thu May 01, 2014 1:10 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
jaywhy wrote:I grew up in seattle and our panfish growing up were crappie, bluegill, perch, rock bass, and pumpkinseed/sunfish. Love catching those things

Just google Bothel Landing.
It is around the bend on Bothel HWy as you come N, past Kenmore.

Found it...didn't realize you were talking about the slough. Never seen sunfish in there. Seen a tiny smallmouth pulled out once. I'll have to check it out!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm

**************just a FYI this is selective gear fishery***********
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

santoroman
Angler

Post by santoroman » Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Not from the midwest but after living in NJ for 5 years then moving out of the country then back to Kirkland...blue gills were called sunnies. the slough I believe C&R, no bait and take off the barbs, which is fine by me. I own a wine shop on main street in bothell so I tend to leave the shop in the middle of the day for a quick hr long lunch/cast out or longer. depends if I have any wines coming in that day or if customers come by.

skitoes are not that bad right now. I swear I can hear the hoppers around 7pm or so but that could be my brain jumping and wanting things.

santo

dea
Petty Officer

Post by dea » Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 am

There are Squawfish in the Sammamish Slough.