Rockport Rattler

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Sportfury65
Angler

Rockport Rattler

Post by Sportfury65 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Has anyone used these jigs for panfish? I am thinking of buying some and would like some feedback if you have used them.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: Rockport Rattler

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Well, kind of. The RR comes in 1/16 oz to 1/4 oz, which is kind of heavy for most panfish. The main selling point is that it has rattles, which also increases the size of the jig head. At about $5.00 for 3, they are also not cheap.

Still, I had some that are pretty much the same thing from about 10 years ago that I used for Walleye, and at times they were great. If I wanted something for perch, crappie, etc., in Washington, it probably would not be my first choice. If I was using it for walleye, SMB, even some trout, it would be a great, although expensive, option.

Sportfury65
Angler

Post by Sportfury65 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks. Do you just use a standard jig then?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Yes, but sometimes I play with the options. If I want a jig suspended above the bottom, and I want the noise, I will place a small tin split shot on the line a few inches above the jig, then I will place a few glass or brass beads on the line above the split shot. As you move the jig, you get similar noise in the area.

I do not find that any one single jig style is best, but there are some better then others. It really depends on the fishing I am doing at that time.