Help with Moses lk plz

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
juggalo
Petty Officer

Help with Moses lk plz

Post by juggalo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Apparently potholes has a big tourney going on this weekend and I'm sure there is going to be a whole lot of pre fishing going on tomorrow. So I'm shifting gears and going to Moses tomorrow morning. unfortunately I know next to nothing about fishing it so if anyone has ything they're willing to share, (location, technique) or wants to ride along feel free to share or even IM me. I have a seat open and am leaving spokane early.

Lee Howe
Angler

Re: Help with Moses lk plz

Post by Lee Howe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 am

For walleye launch at Connelly park and go to the right a short ways and troll slowdeaths or worm harnesses. It's shallow, arouind 11ft deep. Near the house with the flag. Lee

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am

Also, I've had great luck launching Connelly park and heading due south. Keep to the western shore, at the drop off, which is close to the middle of the body of water, 12-14' deep, slow death or work harnesses. I'll be hitting Banks next weekend. Best of luck!

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 am

Outstanding advise from both Lee and David, the only thing that I might add is that while fishing the cove next to Connolly park if you start picking up perch to stop and anchor and start targeting perch. Perch should be schooled up and feeding actively and where there are big perch there are small perch for the walleye to feed on. We have had several spring time trips to Moses lake in the past where this technique boated us as many walleye as perch just by still fishing the schooled up perch. Good luck

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:24 am

Great advice Bob! Makes perfect sense, and even if the walleye don't happen to be there that particular time, I would be quite happy pulling in half a dozen decent sized perch! Good tasting fish. Thank you!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:25 am

If'n it was me I'd go to either of the two inlets, Crab Creek (Alder Fill) or up north by Rocky Ford Creek. I'd think any walleye of any size would be in either pre-spawn or spawning activity.

Crab Creek's closest launch is the Cascade Valley and the best launch for Rocky Ford is Connelly Park.

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank you all very much. My trip got postponed till tomorrow, so I'll gladly utilize all the info given

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 pm

I am seeing the suggested areas for this time of year are pretty shallow, could a pontoon boat with a trolling motor access these spots? I'd like to take another trip east of the mountains this year since my early spring run to Silver Lake didn't produce, making a trip to eastern washington to fish and coming back empty handed doesn't sit well with me!

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 am

Just about all of Moses Lake could be fished with a pontoon. We fish from Connolly to Rocky Ford creek, most of the water is between 8 ft. and 18 ft. the closer you get to Rocky Ford creek the more shallow the water get and it starts getting really weedy so we don't go into that channel. Moses Lake can be windy and boat control may be a problem with a pontoon, this time of year we do best going as slow as possible after the spawn is over we will speed up to about .8 to 1.0 mph.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 am

You guys gave away all my 'secret' spots! [biggrin] [drool] [blink] [rolleyes] [woot] [scared] [thumbsup]

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:You guys gave away all my 'secret' spots! [biggrin] [drool] [blink] [rolleyes] [woot] [scared] [thumbsup]
HA! Now I'll be able to fully decipher your secret fishing hole reports! [woot] [flapper]

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

All of said spots and a lot more were dead today. I marked fish everywhere and didn't boat a fish. Ran the whole lake, I mean put in some work, paid some dues today. I didn't see a fish hosted or a net fly. Lots of boats out and everyone I talked to had the same results. Moon phase, fisherman pressure. I DON'T KNOW. I threw it at them, pulled crank baits, worm harnesses, slow death, wallypops. Drop shots, crank baits, grub jigs for bass. Not even a perch.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks for the report. I hate the outcome but greatly appreciate all your effort. My annual spring fishing trip (6-7 people in 4 boats) to Potholes and Moses Lake, is scheduled for next weekend. The limited forecast for Potholes has us diverted to Banks Lake this time, but I did expect better for Moses Lake. At least this helps me justify the location change. I wish you the best for next time.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 am

I was planning on heading that direction soon, I may put that off until the weather warms a bit after that last post, if I'm not catching anything I may as well enjoy some warm weather and sunshine, lol! Sorry for your unlucky day on the water, but hey, it beats work, right?

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 am

On the positive side at least it sounds like you learned a lot about the lake and the different areas. I'm not sure what is going on with the walleye bite this year, it seems to be almost nonexistent in many of the lakes. We fished Banks Lake(Barker flats) again yesterday and 7 hours of trying every trick I know we caught and released 2 spawning Perch. We marked a lot of fish and had a few very soft bites that we couldn't hook. I talked to several folks back at the boat ramp and everybody seemed to have about the same kind of day.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Is there any place on Moses where you can moor for two or three nights that is reasonably secure? We are thinking of heading up there first week in May and fish during the week for 3 or 4 days. I hate having to unload every darn thing off the boat at the end of the day.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Have you considered the Best Western? Not sure how secure it is, but I would expect th hey have some sort if security.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 am

Yeah, I called them about that and there is no gate or security or anything. Its open to the public at all times. They did say there is a security guard that drives by at night but their main concern is the parking lot.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:40 am

The only place I have ever had fishing gear stolen from my boat was at Best Western in Moses Lake, don't trust their security. If you are RV or tent camping there is a nice RV park with boat moorage just south of the freeway at the I 90 bridge. They have spaces with just water and power hook ups close to their docks, they also have a small store that sells ice and worms.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

LOL!! Ok, that takes care of that option. I'll keep looking elsewhere