Has annyone fished keechelus lake???

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
edge540
Commander

Has annyone fished keechelus lake???

Post by edge540 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:05 am

Wondering if anyone has fished Keechelus lately? I am thinking about camping up there next weekend and wondered if its worth bringing the boat. What species are found there? I fish conventional gear for trout/bass.

~Steve

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Has annyone fished keechelus lake???

Post by kevinb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:19 am

I havn't fished there but have fished Kachess many times. I assume that they would have similar species. Kachess has kokanee,bows,cutts,dolly varden,burbot and lake trout. However,I think the laker population is very small. I'm sure there are other species but these are the ones I'm aware of but not sure if Keechelus has the same.
Its a very nice area and the campsites on Kachess are quiet and well maintained,there is primitive camping on the opposite side of the campgrounds but I'm not sure if you have to use a new Discover Pass or if its even 100% legal. I've just seen many folks camped out over there.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 am

#-o Thats rite Ill have to get a Discovery pass before I head up there, seems like everything I do costs another $100 [blink]

I guess Ill just try some trolling and see what works. Been after the bass pretty hard lately, I wonder if there in there. [confused]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 am

No Bass but 10 or so years ago they planted 100,000 Koke fingerlings. I've caught those and RBT's. Very stumpy if you want to fish for anything but Kokes out in the middle.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

The boat launch may be bone dry with no access. I have fished it in the past. Its stocked with trout. I usually fish where the creeks run into it.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm

All the Yakima River basin lakes are pretty much full right now. It looks like Keechelus is being drawn down first this year but still has plenty of water to launch. Once the water level gets way down there is a second "launch" that folks use which is just a graded rocky slope. You can check the water levels for all the reservoirs at this site: http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/yakima/yaktea.html

As for the Discover Pass, I'm not sure it will do you any good. I'm pretty certain that you will need a Northwest Forest Pass, the single day use pass runs $5 or $7. This goes with the launch at Kachess as well.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm

agree, forest service I think, not state park land. We fished it ages ago, as noted, koks. Didn't do very well. Lots of freeway noice and can get windy. Should be plenty of water yet. Honestly, if I was going that way I'd try Cle Elum for the lakers, silvers, and burbot. More peaceful experience although probably more recreational boaters, too.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 am

Fished there 8yrs ago or so with a family friend. Caught a limit of nice kokes. Other then that I`m not much help. Beautiful lake to be on. Never realized how deep it is in a certain spot. If I recall it was right around 900ft. Wonder if the lochnes monster lives in there?

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info guys, Dang 900' Yikes sounds like lake crescent on the peninsula. I guess ill try a couple lakes up that way and see what we find. Ill pick up the annual pass and the state pass.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 am

rjn cajun wrote:Fished there 8yrs ago or so with a family friend. Caught a limit of nice kokes. Other then that I`m not much help. Beautiful lake to be on. Never realized how deep it is in a certain spot. If I recall it was right around 900ft. Wonder if the lochnes monster lives in there?
I've always wondered about the depth...

Thats nuts :shaking2:
Last edited by rl206 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I was up there last Sunday and only managed one 9 inch kokanee. There is still plenty of water to launch the boat thanks to the beautiful six month long March we've been having. They do blasting across the lake after about 1800 (the lake is closed to navigation during blasting) so camping may not be very tranquil. WDFW has been putting in over 200000 Kokanee fingerlings over the past couple of years but I guess those fish are smarter than me! You will need the US Forest Service trail pass to launch and camp.

Bruce Nelson