Opening Day - Is it always like this?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
MikeFishes
Commander

Opening Day - Is it always like this?

Post by MikeFishes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Okay, so I knew that Opening Day was going to be busy, but is it always this busy? I went up to Martha Lake after working in the yard and took my daughter. Ended up there were about 20 people on the doc/pier/whatever and had to cast out to the shallows (Yeah, I know I'm not going to catch anything there). There must have been 20 boats out there, on such a small lake.

Interestingly enough, people were plunking power bait and hitting them. If I were able to get out there, I would have gone surface, since they just planted 8K smallies (makes 10K total). But of course, there was no chance of that happening.

We ended up pulling up our bait and taking off. It was pretty much useless to try to fish from the dock. Only if I had my boat.

Now, the big question is, how long will this be busy like this?

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:Opening Day - Is it always like this?

Post by Easy Limits » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Next weekend there should be a lot less people at your favorite fishing hole.

BTW, I counted 13 boats at Deer Lake for the opener today, just like usual.o:)

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:06 pm

If you're stuck on a dock it may be just as good to wait and fish later in the day (future advice) unless you want to get up way early. Rattlesnake was busy this afternoon but very manageble. Great day on the water, one of my more enjoyable Opening Days. =d>

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:25 am

Mikey,
I don't know about Martha Lake, but on the east side of the state those kinds of crowds only last for the first weekend. Personally, I never go fishing on "Opening Day." My dad used to say. "On opening day, you could walk across the lake from boat to boat."
For What it's Worth,
Lotech Joe
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:24 pm

I hit Padden here in bellingham, its about 2 minutes from my house so we decided to take the easy day. I expected there to be a lot more boats on the water, but most of the fisherman were plunking from the shore. Boat traffic was not bad, and it made for a good opener of ultralight trolling.

Matt
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:50 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:Personally, I never go fishing on "Opening Day." My dad used to say. "On opening day, you could walk across the lake from boat to boat."
I'm with you, unless we head to a year round lake where pressure doesn't usually change on opening day. I can remember fishing Bay Lake on the west side for an opener about 35 years ago, it was literally wall to wall boats when we got there at 3am. I'm too cranky to deal with crowds anymore, especially for hatchery raised trout.[-(
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:37 pm

Easy Limits:
I was out there on my red Lund from about 8:30 am to 10:30 am...

You see us? 3 of us in the boat....

What were you fishing from?
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 pm

I go to a lake that has "selective gear" regs posted. This opening day I went to Medical Lake and the crowds weren't there. However, on the other side of the hill at West Medical (standard regs), parking overflowed out onto the road. If you can comply with the "special regs" of this kind of lake, you will see far fewer people.

cole steffens
Petty Officer

Post by cole steffens » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:57 pm

i hit ki on the opener like i do every year and had my limit by 4:00 am great opener best to wait later on in the weekdays when all the lakes are pretty quiet
if we are good to are lakes and streams they will be good to us

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:01 am

Marc, I hear you we were at Medical today with the special regs and no big deal at all. Then jumped over to West Medical it was if there was a concert in town!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 am

I was out at Medical yesterday, opening day. Didn't make it out today. Glad I didn't go out because the wind was fairly stiff, even in town. All the lakes in the Four Lakes area get heavy pressure (except Medical) the first couple of weeks after opening day. It should settle down as the weather warms up and people start going out on camping trips up north.

Shane
Petty Officer

Post by Shane » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 am

Opening day is not always that busy but this year we had record numbers of fishing licenses sold. the department of fish and game siad that there were about 300,000 people fishing on opening day this year compared to about 200,000 people last year.

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:26 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Easy Limits:
I was out there on my red Lund from about 8:30 am to 10:30 am...

You see us? 3 of us in the boat....

What were you fishing from?
I probably did see you guys but didn't know. I was fishing off the dock at the bible camp.

FishSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by FishSlayer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 pm

I didn't get the chance to go on opening day this year.
But i remember last year at west medical.
There were to many boats to count on the water and
people were trolling inbetween the boats and tanglin lines.
Caught my limit easy but the hard part was leaving
without goin over someones line.
<'(((><

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue May 01, 2007 10:06 pm

Try going to a year-round lake on opening day, especially if you're not fishing for trout. They're usually empty because all the trout guys are chomping at the bit for those un-pressured lakes that haven't been fished in 6 months. I launched by myself on both Sunday and Monday on Long Lake, and enjoyed 2-3 hours before I saw another boat on the water.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 01, 2007 10:30 pm

Or go out fishing on a major event day like Bloomsday, Hoopfest. That will remove a few thousand off of the water.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 02, 2007 8:45 am

I haven't fished the traditional opening day for years. Since there are a lot of year round lakes open that get planted periodically I concentrate on them. The traditional opener weekend is my weekend to do the heavy lifting portion of my yardwork. Usually 2 weeks after the opener the crowds really thin out. Of course between the fishermen and the fish eating ducks the the dumb planter population thins out in a hurry.
Life's short - fish hard!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 02, 2007 10:08 pm

This was the 1st year in about 10 I stayed home for the opener. I still spent the whole day at steel and it was pretty packed. There wasnt too many boats but the public dock and the private dock were pretty packed. Last year though we went to lake offut for the opener and this is a lake that dosnt close and it wasnt that packed(great lake by the way). We still came close to limiting, so the trick is find a yearly lake that got planted in the near past. But that was the only time Ive messed around with a yearly lake on opening day so maybe I just got lucky. And if you take a peak at the Mineral lake reports there is a picture of all the boats from opening day and man oh man. That would be my first choice for trout but didnt want to deal with that mess. So getten up early in the mornin and heading to Mineral to get a spot before the weekend crowd

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:17 pm

It's fun to go out on Opening Day just to be out for the spirit of "Opening Day." Me, I like crowds sometimes. I love it when all the other guys out on boats or on shore are just the 2 or 3 time a year trout fishermen and get nothing, and I love to just go out and catch a bunch and make them jealous.

I like it when guys are around to keep and eye on my rig too so it doesn't get busted in also..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:12 am

I agree with the man above. Opening day is a lot of fun. Does not matter how many people are out there. The fish is either gonna bite your line or not. I went to Martha the day after and there were not to many people out there
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday