Nothing Like Losing A Bobber

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
FishingFool
Commodore

Nothing Like Losing A Bobber

Post by FishingFool » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:29 pm

10 mins later, you see it swimming away. #-o

Went out and tried Beaver Lake yesterday. Lost 2 bobber setups during casting. Reel closed and the line just snapped.

The first one, had a fish on it soon afterwards. Last seen, by the dock close to the park. With the yellow and blue inflatable boat.

The 2nd one, almost hit a dad and 2 kids on their aluminum boat. :-" Last seen, floating right in the middle of the lake.

viet
Petty Officer

RE:Nothing Like Losing A Bobber

Post by viet » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:40 pm

lol, i know how you feel. sometimes when i fish for catfish we use the led bobbers. i remember on time the line snapped and you could see the bobber moving around the top of the pond. its a bit irritating especially since the led ones are like five bucks a pop. tight lines.
there's nothing better than standing on the side of a lake or river knowing that only a handful of people have stood in that exact spot and witness the beauty of mother nature first hand.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:45 pm

i have my favorite bobbers that i use when the fishing is slow. they seem to help catch more fish lol. seriously i have a few that i've had gotten hung up and spent more time to retreive them then the time i had to actually fish. one time i lost a favorite icefishing bobber to a huge crappie, luck was on my side when i seen it later in another hole not far away. lost the crappie but got the bobber back. i do have a large collection of other peoples bobbers that i have found since i'm not at all squimish about getting wet. most are way to big and are strictly for those who just want to fish, they certainly are not for the ones who want to catch fish. <')//<

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Here is a thought. Stronger running line then tippet down with Flouro to the hook. Or practice casting;)

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Sure beats losing a rod, reel, net, boat or some other piece of high priced equipment!

Kinda off the subject here, but my friend explained to me an old and interesting technique for crappie fishing that involved bobbers. When they'd locate a school of fish, they'd intentionally attach a hook, line and bobber to a crappie that they had caught. They'd then release that fish, which would naturally return to the school. This enabled them to stay on that school all day simply by following that bobber. I've never tried it but it sure sounds plausible!!! After all, crappie are schooling fish!

Maybe you should try this....sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:43 pm

i've used smallparty balloons to trail crappie. you can see it better and it does work to know where the school is when you are out in the middle of the lake. i've also used balloons when i wanted to get bait out farther when the wind is in your favor fishing for pike. <')//<

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 am

We used to do the same thing with balloons for white bass in Tennessee. Never saw much sense for crappie because I just figured they would be next to the same structure but suspend at different depthes throughout the day.

Might be a good idea for perch after getting one the right size because they school up by year class.

But, is it legal here?

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:26 pm

TIP OF THE DAY !!

Instead of clipping your bobber to the same line that your hook is on (USE A SPLIT SHOT) this will do things for you..1: in case you break off a fish you still have your bobber 2: the split shot ring helps prevent line twist which ensurs that your bait stays in place (not spinning after a cast) ...BBD :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:01 am

At the beginning of the fishing season this year I saw a bobber floating in the middle of Lake Tanwax. As I went nearer to it, it kept going under the water each time I would start and stop the electric motor. When I captured it there was a crappie on the hook at the end. I let it go but kept the bobber, hook , and weight.
Could this be what they used to trail the crappie or could it be a accident? The line was cut off at the bobber. I assumed it was bad line that broke at the bobber attachment.

The fish swam away. It was about 9 inches. Happy ending for him.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.