Lake Washimgton sockeye count observation

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
schu7498
Commander

Lake Washimgton sockeye count observation

Post by schu7498 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I was just at the Ballard locks watching the sockeye in the fish ladder. It was really neat to watch the fish up close, but it also made me wish I could fish for them. I noticed in locks themselves were hundreds of salmon swimming around. so. I am curious if they count only the salmon going through the fish ladder because that would mean that their sockeye count would be way off.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: Lake Washimgton sockeye count observation

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm

They have a fish checker that estimates the Sockeye passing through that portion of the locks, where the boats travel. They also know that once fish pass into the lake, they can pass back through the locks. From the lake to the Salt water again, and account for that fish passing back and forth. I was down there on 6/29. Lots of fish cycling through, and one pesky sea lion, that could not believe it's good fortune.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks! Sorry about the spelling, was typing this on my phone as I was walking away from the locks. Also saw a nice fat king hanging out with the sockeye, a little early and clipped. Any idea of where the king would be returning to?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:13 am

Most likely the Issaquah hatchery. They also produce a fair amount of silvers as well.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

Clipped would be Issy for sure. That's what needs to happen on the Cedar. Pump up the numbers of kings and stop sniveling about them.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:11 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48088861/ns ... eattle_wa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SEATTLE --
It's been so long since enough sockeye salmon returned to allow a Lake Washington fishing season that many anglers are reluctant to even talk about it. But some are quietly getting their hopes up and their tackle boxes loaded up as they watch the daily count from the Ballard Locks fish ladder.

The shiny sockeye are coming in at numbers managers haven't seen since 2006, the last year there was a sockeye season on Lake Washington. Nearly 10,000 sockeye climbed the ladder on Wednesday alone. As the count approaces the 100,000 mark since last month, there is cause for cautious optimism.

But there is still a long way to go. Managers have to be convinced that at least 350,000 sockeye will return before they open a season. They admit they don't know where we are in the return at this point. It could get stronger and last for several more weeks --- like it did in 2006. Or it may be peaking now and will begin to taper off.

Either way, the biologists and fishermen know the numbers so far are a very good sign. Even if too few come back this year, the improved numbers for 2012 bode well for a fishing season in the next four years.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 pm

speaking about observations..

I observed a nice fishing boat on the north side of 520 this morning on my way to work, downriggers out and trolling.. at any other time of year its not much of a question what they are doing. but right now? pretty sure they're not trolling for cuttthroats

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm

oneshot wrote:speaking about observations..

I observed a nice fishing boat on the north side of 520 this morning on my way to work, downriggers out and trolling.. at any other time of year its not much of a question what they are doing. but right now? pretty sure they're not trolling for cuttthroats
Hard to say until there gear is checked. Did the rods look heavy for cutty's? Or troll look like they were barely moving? I would think there would be a legal fishing presence out there!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 am

oneshot wrote:speaking about observations..

Actually, right now is the easiest time of the year to catch cutts, as they are located in a specific part of the water column. I only pickup sockeye when the wind and waves reduce my speed and drop my gear further down during an inside turn. If I wasn't working right now, I'd probably be out there with them!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am

slow as a slug troll...

and i definitely could be wrong.. or right :pirat: