Help - New to Pullman, WA

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
isudoc03
Angler

Help - New to Pullman, WA

Post by isudoc03 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello,

I just recently moved to Pullman. I moved here from Iowa and previously I lived in Minnesota. I love to fish and typically fish for panfish, walleyes and bass. All of this salmon and trout stuff is new to me. I'll admit I am a bit intimidated by all the rules and regulations concerning salmon and trout. At some point I would like to try salmon and trout fishing but for right now I just want to get a line wet and see what happens.

I have an 18.5 foot boat with a 140 HP outboard. I have looked into going down to Lower Granite. It looks like there may be some smallmouths there. I have also read some things about Rock Lake but it sounds like the access may be tricky.

Any advice or help on fishing in the area would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Help - New to Pullman, WA

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Rock Lake is very rocky, you need to learn it before going out on it. I've heard that lots of people run into the rocks. How you learn it without going on it I don't really know, but there are members here that can help with that.

I only fish for Bass and not in the Pullman area so can't help there either. But Banks, Roosevelt, and Potholes are great Bass, Walleye and panfish lakes. There are also some lakes north of Spokane that are good. And Long Lake, Silver, and a couple others in the Spokane area and close to Spokane.
Tom.

Interests: living

rwl
Petty Officer

Post by rwl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:47 pm

You should be able to find smallmouth bass out of wawawai this time of year. Usually sunup and sundown will have more active fish close to shore if you use crankbaits or maybe spinners. Topwater plugs are also pretty effective at those times, plus you will get a lot of small fish splashing at your plug so you will get a good sense of where the fish are. Later in the morning/day it seems like plastics work better I would recommend wacky rigged senkos on drop shot or watermelon colored tubes. Look for subtle points, or areas where a canyon empties into the river and fish in about 15-20 feet of water.

there doesn't seem to be much panfish action (unless you count the dink smallmouths) in the pullman area.

Rock lake is the nearest lake, there are plenty of large boats that launch there, I think the main issue is how well your boat can clear your trailer in somewhat shallow water and how well your vehicle can pull your boat out of a kind of rocky ledge type area. You could go check it out and if it looks too sketchy travel further on to Sprague lake which has better launching.

isudoc03
Angler

Post by isudoc03 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks guys. I need to get out and try some lakes. May venture over into Idaho as well.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:36 pm

The Snake River near Pullman is loaded with SMB. I have caught good SMB from the Salmon River down to the Tidewater near the Ocean. LOL You even have great SMB in the Grande Rounde River, South and West of Clarkston, during the Summer. Just watch out for Rattle Snakes in the GR.

If you are from MN, then just fish the SMB like you are use to, just remember the water is not as clear.

In Idaho, Dworshak is the Premier SMB fishery in the West, maybe the world. Due to a Federal Judge, the way the water is managed in Dworshak has changed and the SMB cannot spawn as well as they use to, and it has impacted the Kokanee they feed on, but ......... at one time I believe that the next world record was just a cast or two away. Larry Dahlberg, a friend and Hall of Fame fisherman, once claimed that the next world record was in Dworshak as well, but again, think Federal Judge (something about flushing Salmon and Steelhead smolt to the Ocean by doing a water dump right during the SMB spawn).

The two locations I have given you could keep a permanent smile on your face once you learn them. [thumbup]

Now, Rock Lake. The problem is not just the launch, but the launch is a big problem. I tow two to three boats off Rock Lake every year, and we lost a Kayaker a couple of years ago (hypothermia) , and almost lost two young adult fisherman as well. I admit that I know every rock and obstruction on the lake, and have paid for that knowledge with props. During much of the winter and spring, the lake has very little visibility so the rock shelf that are often only a few inches to a couple of feet under the water are unseen until you hit them. I know of a lot of those area where your depth finder shows 300' and your nose is run aground; you may still be 30 yards from shore. Other times your depth finder may show 300, your nose is against the cliff face; you have 300+ feet of rock straight up. Once in trouble, there is little area to land your boat and get out.

I have an 18' Lund Style that I put on there, but during the Summer (seldom fish the summer), I need my 4WD truck, I drop the real axle off the ledge to float my boat, then I need to drag my trailer back over the ledge edge. Now, if that is something you don't mind doing, then yes, it can be done.

Rock Lake is known for Brown Trout. I assure you that there are Brown Trout in there that will compete in size and strength to the Bass you are familiar with. Yes, there are some nice Rainbow in there as well, but they are so much easier to catch that most never get a chance to grow. As for Bass, I have only caught Large Mouth Bass in there. I don't know why SMB are not in there because I am positive that bucket biologist have put them in there. If I were to guess, it would be the lack of good spawning habitat and the lateness of the year that the water warms. The lake's extreme depth, relative small surface area, means the lake never freezes over. (OK, I did see a quarter inch of ice one winter for the lower quarter mile, but I broke a path with my boat and it was gone by the afternoon). On the other hand, it does not get warm until late in the year.

I believe that Bonnie Lake, upstream of Rock, is where the LMB spawn (along with crappie, perch, and bluegill), and the small fish flush down the creek during high water. Yes, some do spawn in Rock, but I found a bunch of LMB Fry last fall (October) that were only 3 inches long, so little chance of winter survival. That does not mean there are not good LMB in Rock.

I have caught several LMB up to 8 pounds in Rock, but most are 12 to 14 inches or less. Because of the different nature of Rock Lake, it is not the normal Bass fishery you are use to. Also, there are not Shad or Shiners, only Sculpin, sucker, perch, some bluegill and crappie, and a LOT of crayfish to feed them. Vertical cliffs, shallow ledges, etc....., make Rock a different type of summer bass fishery. I LOVE IT. OK, some planter Rainbows and Browns feed the Bass as well.

If you are willing to travel to Rock, then Downs is just a little farther and is much more of a LMB lake. Sprague Lake is just now coming on as a LMB lake, but due to a recent poising of fish to remove Walleye, the Bass are not as well known as the Rainbows that they out in there for the interim.

Welcome to the Pacific NW and just be patient. You will find that the Bass are alive and well in the area, it will just take a little time to locate them.

[thumbsup]

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Perhaps Anglin" I should buy some gas and a lunch and have you show me the magic of 'Rock'
Seen way to many boats come out of it with a prop that looks like it was a bad weed eater project!!!
I guess I'm in if you want to play!!! :cheers:

perhaps we could trade some knowledge!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 pm

I am out of pocket for a few days, but ........ I think that sounds like a great idea. Love to pass some of what I know about Rock before I may have to leave the state. I fear that I will be asking similar questions if I take a position in Leesville LA soon. :-k ](*,)

Kyle Jones
Petty Officer

Post by Kyle Jones » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:25 pm

You are now within an hour of some of the best Steelhead and Salmon fishing in the entire pacific northwest. I suggest getting geared up and figure out how to catch fall Chinook in the Mouth of the Clearwater river in september. I am a full time guide here and run trips year round, also dont have any issues giving out plenty of info to get ya headed in the right direction.

Give me a call 208-861-0654 and I will be happy to chat with you about it.

Kyle
Fishing the Columbia and Snake Rivers for salmon, steelhead, Walleye, and sturgeon.

We strive to provide you with the highest quality guided fishing trips. Our trips are the perfect answer to your next family or corporate event. Let us help you make great memories on the water.

http://jonessportfishing.com/

Official Digital Anglers Sponsor

isudoc03
Angler

Post by isudoc03 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks Anglin. I did get on the Snake a few days ago but was having motor problems so now the boat is in the shop.

Kyle - I definitely want to try some steelhead/salmon fishing. I may give you a call for a trip after I get settled in.

Thanks again.

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Caught my first steelhead fishing the bank at the wawawaii launch using a light/medium spinning rod and 6# ultragreen. Hit a Yamamoto tube as i was bass fishing.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving