Selective Rules Fishing - Crawfishing?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Eugene
Petty Officer

Selective Rules Fishing - Crawfishing?

Post by Eugene » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi Guys! Please help - is crawfishing allowed in rivers/lakes with selective gear rules?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Selective Rules Fishing - Crawfishing?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:21 am

Eugene wrote:Hi Guys! Please help - is crawfishing allowed in rivers/lakes with selective gear rules?
Selective gear refers to fishing for "Fish"

Think of it this way... the reason a lake is listed as Selective gear rules is because the DFW is wanting to better restrict or protect the fish resource in the lake. It isn't about protecting crawfish or fresh water clams or anything else.

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:43 pm

The Quadfather is correct because the rule is only affecting the gear used to fish. Since the body of water is open for fishing, it is also open for crawfishing. Conversely, if a body of water is closed to fishing, then it is also closed to crawfish fishing.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:57 pm

The open days for crawfishing are not necessarily the same as for regular fishing. From the rule book, page 134:
CRAYFISH (Crawfish)
ALL OPEN WATERS NATIVE SPECIES 1st Mon. in May-Oct. 31
Min. size 3¼" from tip of rostrum (nose) to tip of tail. Daily limit 10 lbs in shell. All
females with eggs or young attached must be immediately returned to the water
unharmed. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See gear rules on page 139.
NONNATIVE
SPECIES
1st Mon. in May-Oct. 31
Must be kept in a separate container. Must be dead before being removed
from riparian area (immediate vicinity of water body). No daily limit, size, or sex
restrictions. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See gear rules page 139.
So you can only harvest crawfish from the first Monday in May through Oct 31 - if the place you are fishing is open for fishing.

Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:35 am

Eugene,

Here's some pictures of crawfish I catch in Moses Lake. There's plenty of crawfish in this lake and I catch them in creeks, rivers, and lakes. The season is over on Halloween, and the rules are straight forward in the fishing regs.
Attachments
9-6-2015 (1).JPG
9-6-2015 (3).JPG
9-6-2015 (2).JPG
Last edited by Walleye Be Damn on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 am

Walleye Be Damn wrote:Eugene,

Take a look at my fishing reports for Moses Lake under Other and you will see some pictures of crawfish I catch in Moses Lake. There's plenty of crawfish in this lake and I catch them in creeks, rivers, and lakes. The season is over on Halloween, and the rules are straight forward in the fishing regs. I would send a picture with this post, but I can't upload the pictures.
Walleye be damn... If you want to add a pic. Once you have posted the thread in the forum, then go back into your thread, and look for the tab that says, "Edit" Click into Edit.... and then at the bottom of the page you will see places to upload pics.
Picture files must be 1 mb or less in size. (Correct me if I'm wrong somebody on the file size. It used to be less, but it went up to 1 MB recently)

Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:53 am

Thanks for the instructions Quadfather.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm