Chapman Lake update

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Chapman Lake update

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:03 pm

The following is the latest information about a public access into Chapman Lake, Spokane County

Hi Marc,
WDFW originally though we would pursue putting in a launch via the DNR property but after looking at that piece of ground realized, although not impossible, that option would be extremely difficult. Almost all of that shoreline is cliffs, except one steep rocky ravine which would not really be conducive as a launch site.
As a result, we resumed contact with the landowner and put in for a grant to acquire the 80 acres there (the landowner would consider selling the entire 80 acres or nothing). We were awarded less than half of what we applied for and have been trying to seek other funding sources to make up the difference. If we can find those sources, then our intent is to present a package to the landowner and try to come to an agreement. At that point the landowner may or may not accept, who knows. I hate having to say this again, but we are remaining optimistic that we can somehow regain public access.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Randy Osborne
WDFW

Sent from my iPhone

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Re: Chapman Lake update

Post by ridgeratt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:17 pm

So like all the previous years since the launch was closed, It gives the property owners access to a closed fishery that was stocked by Sportsman dollars. WDFW Misusing the funds, but they will tell you they are working in our best interest.

[cursing] [cursing] [cursing] ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Here is what they responded with last year.

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... pman+lakes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Marc,
Thanks for posting! Good to see you still kicking and scratching. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm still vertical, Bodo. Had some medical hurtles (actually 3) to get over the last 12 months but making progress. Didn't even fish last year. I've got my license for this year so the game is back on. Still as cantankerous as ever. 😄 [sneaky]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:I'm still vertical, Bodo. Had some medical hurtles (actually 3) to get over the last 12 months but making progress. Didn't even fish last year. I've got my license for this year so the game is back on. Still as cantankerous as ever. 😄 [sneaky]
Excellent!!!! Been through the same in the last year too. [sad] Still kicking and getting my much better half back to where she should be. I've gone to the fly side. Now I'm about 98% on the fly. With the state of the rivers on the west side I'm pretty much whipping the trout every chance I get. The fly club I belong to is making a trip to Lake Chopaka in June for a little fishing in your neck of the woods. I understand it's a great lake for dry's
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm

It's been several years since I fished Chopaka, but remember having a good day there. Had one on that broke the leader half way up. I remember the road was a bit of a challenge getting up to it. If my memory is correct, June is when the Mayfly hatch is on. It's a blast when they are hitting on those. Post pictures with a report when you get back.
LOL. I've been 99% on the fly for coming on 5 decades now. It must be in my DNA. [biggrin]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:42 am

Good to see a post from you Marc and very happy to hear you are mending. We should get together for Roosevelt trip. [thumbup]

I knew all along if the landowner didn't sell the resort to WDFW a public launch wouldn't happen since it's nearly impossible due to terrain conditions. My opinion still - WDFW should close Chapman to ALL fishing until this is resolved.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 pm

I haven't seen any new updates on here or WDFW https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/114/ about public access to Chapman Lake but noticed WDFW has planted the lake with another 100,000 Kokanee [urlhttps://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01975/wdfw01975.pdf][/url] (It looks like 100.000 Kokanee per year for 6 years running, with almost 105.000 in 2014)

It was my understanding the region 1 fisheries person Chris Donnelly said in 2016 that WDFW would stop stocking Chapman lake if public access was not secured.

Does this most recent stocking of Chapman Lake indicate the sportsman and sportswomen of Washington State now have launch and fishing access to Chapman Lake? If not... does this mean WDFW has misappropriated public funds and license fees, again (five years in a row) to stock a private lake??

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer

Post by ridgeratt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 pm

E-10 you have to understand that the WDFW will look out for the best interest of your license mony. Even if you are not able to see a reward. The best way to know when they are not telling you a falsehood is when there is NO SOUND. But rest assured they are working in the back round.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 am

I just emailed region 1 asking when we can expect access. WSFG has the money appropriated for the purchase and access improvements of the old resort. If I hear something I will post it, but everybody should email them so they get the idea that several folks are interested fishing Chapman again. In my opinion they have spent way to many resources the past several years on this basically private lake. Makes me wonder who might have a friend with lake front property.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer

Post by ridgeratt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:08 am

Hewesbob

I think they pretty much know how I feel about. I have talked to Donnelly during the Springer seasons on the snake.
I have also had conversations with a person who does have a place on the lake. He was telling me how many fish he had caught that year. While doing the simple math of the retention limit and the number of days it was open. He couldn't have gotten the numbers with out over harvesting, But when no one else is fishing who's keeping track.
What is the most upsetting is the lost resources to every one who purchases a license.

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 am

I guess I'll believe when I see it with access to Chapman Lake. A few years ago WDFW sent me a Email acting like the deed was close to being done and what I would like to see? I requested some consideration for shore fishermen with a possible easement to the neighboring DNR land.

I recall a drive-by at the start of all this crap and witnessing some locals taking the DNR/State signs off the walk-in easement gate to transfer to their lockout road gate or just plain destroy. These signs have never been replaced by the DNR. Days after, someone took a chain and pulled down the road block gate...Some justice, I guess? Of course, the road gate got replaced. The resident/over the limit poaching comes as no surprise. I was told the kokanee stocking was to preserve the fishery for the lake's re-opening.

I actually think stopping the stocking might prompt the residents to sell to the WDFW.

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:56 pm

hewesbob,

Can you please post contact info for emailing Region 1 personnel?

Names, email addresses, etc?

I would be happy to contact them and ask the hard questions and have lots of Sport-fishermen/women who would also like to email Region 1 as well.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:56 pm

E-10 wrote:hewesbob,

Can you please post contact info for emailing Region 1 personnel?

Names, email addresses, etc?

I would be happy to contact them and ask the hard questions and have lots of Sport-fishermen/women who would also like to email Region 1 as well.
email [email protected] or phone 509 921 2440 You can email the director at [email protected] but they just forward it to Spokane. I would encourage as many folks as possible to email these people, they need to understand that we want answers.

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Thank you! I'm on it, I do want answers and some action.

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:15 pm

email [email protected] or phone 509 921 2440
Just found out this is [email protected]

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:28 am

Well, it looks like Washington State Recreation and Conservation Department had an announcement about Chapman. https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/ ... er=16-2313

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:49 am

Wow. It sure doesn't sound like a 2 1/2 year project to me, but I guess the lake will have a nice population of fish by the time it becomes usable.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer

Post by ridgeratt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:17 am

AJ's Dad wrote:Wow. It sure doesn't sound like a 2 1/2 year project to me, but I guess the lake will have a nice population of fish by the time it becomes usable.
It shouldn't the road is there and the proposed site is the old resort grounds.

Have a nice population is and under statement. This lake has had Kokanee plants for the last 5+ years of over half the kokanee alloted to eastern washington with no access.

The original proprty owner had a kokanee hatchery that he funded out of his front pocket to make sure there was a fishery. It would be a great part of history if they preserved that.

E-10
Petty Officer

Post by E-10 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 am

Here are the plans and proposals
Attachments
Chapman 2016 RCO Development Site Plan.JPG
Site Plan
Existing picnic structure.jpg
Existing covered picnic area
Existing road.jpg
The road is already paved