Carp on the west side?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Larry3215
Admiral

Carp on the west side?

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Just read a report of someone catching some carp in Tapps. That reminded me of fishing as a kid and catching them all the time - until one of my uncles told us they were "trash fish" and not to be fished for.

He told us that old joke about how to cook a carp - you place it on a cedar board and put that in the fire and let it cook till the fish is done. Then throw away the carp and eat the board. Except he was dead serious or seemed to be to us when we were just kids.

Anyway, we had a blast catching them until we were told not to. Now Id like to get back to it. Dont care anything about eating them, just want to catch something with a good fight.

I know there are tons of them in Banks and Potholes and Moses - Ive seen them tearing up in the weeds - and now in Tapps. Any other lakes on the west side where there are lots to go after?

FishingFool
Commodore

Re: Carp on the west side?

Post by FishingFool » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:48 am

Lake Sammamish and Washington

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks for the tip!

I found the carp page on the WDFW website. It lists Lake Washington but not Sammamish or Tapps.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/Species/893/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next time we are at one of these lakes Im going to give them a try.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Lake Washington is really good for carp, but you'll want to wait until they re-open it for fishing. Can't have anyone inadvertently hooking an ESA listed salmon while tossing boilies...

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:35 am

I have incidentally caught very large carp in lake samm. Caught it on a Texas rig plastic worm of all things, while bass fishing. The bigger one was probably close to 30lbs. Both released.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks guys :)

pizzaman
Petty Officer

Post by pizzaman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Lots of big carp in green lake. It's actually pretty impressive to paddle around them on a calm morning when they are swirling around on the surface. Literally hundreds of them. Never really tried to fish for them though.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:11 am

On a side note carp are an ivasive aquatic species that can be harvested without a license and bow fishing is allowed for them. They make good fertilizer for gardens

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am

Another couple smaller carp spots for you (depending on where you live) are Ronald Bog, just off I-5 & 175th in Shoreline and Campus Pond at North Seattle college (on the west side of I-5, directly across I-5 from Northgate Mall).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks!