Drive-up lake with a view of Mt. Rainier

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Drive-up lake with a view of Mt. Rainier

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:54 pm

My wife's 104 year old great aunt Barbara passed away yesterday. She was the matriarch and last of her generation in my wife's family, and was very special to all of us. She grew up in Seattle, then spent most of her adult life in Missouri before moving back to Seattle late in life. She moved to Phoenix a couple of years ago to breathe drier air, but her home and her love was Seattle and, especially, Mt. Rainier.

There was some indecision as to whether or not to have a service and whatnot, since she had just celebrated her 104th birthday and family had just made the trip down to Phoenix for that occasion. So the family has decided that we should have her ashes sent up here, to be spread in a body of water near "her mountain" as she called it.

I haven't spent a lot of time around Rainier. What we would like to find is a lake that we can drive to, as there will be some older folks along that cannot hike far, and on the north side of the lake, the side that she would have seen from her place in Seattle where she had a view. It must have a clear view of the mountain. We would prefer it to be a lake that is not super crowded, even if that means we need to go on a weekday. We aren't trying to do this amongst tons of tourists. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Drive-up lake with a view of Mt. Rainier

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Silver Lake, Cowlitz County.
Tom.

Interests: living

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Tom :)
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 pm

No hold it, that's Mt. St. Helens, not Rainer. Not thinking straight I guess.
Tom.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

I just was looking and thought, "That's quite a ways south!" No worries, I appreciate your help.

I saw lake Mowich on the map, it looks to be a possibility. Has anyone ever been there?
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:21 pm

So maybe Tapps, or Bonny Lake, or even some small lakes in the Black Diamond area, or Buckley area.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 pm

East of Wilkison - Sunset Lake along Quinnon Extensions Road SE.
Tom.

Smokeploe
Angler

Post by Smokeploe » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 am

Another lake that has a very nice view of mt rainier is minerial lake
Smokeploe

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 am

Another on the way to Mineral lake is Alder lake. Has a park and place for people walk to the edge of the water as well. Hope you find what your looking for.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am

meandermeadows wrote:I just was looking and thought, "That's quite a ways south!" No worries, I appreciate your help.

I saw lake Mowich on the map, it looks to be a possibility. Has anyone ever been there?
Yes, its a very pretty lake and you can drive right up. It has a campground there and is a popular spot for restocking when walking the Wonderland Trail. It can be pretty busy in the middle of summer but I'd bet it's pretty quiet in the spring.
http://visitrainier.com/mowich-lake-campground/
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:02 am

Bodofish wrote:
meandermeadows wrote:I just was looking and thought, "That's quite a ways south!" No worries, I appreciate your help.

Yes, its a very pretty lake and you can drive right up. It has a campground there and is a popular spot for restocking when walking the Wonderland Trail. It can be pretty busy in the middle of summer but I'd bet it's pretty quiet in the spring.
http://visitrainier.com/mowich-lake-campground/
And snowed in until June or later depending on our winter
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:13 am

You might try Clear Lake just north of Eatonville just off of SR 161. There are some great views of Rainer from that lake and the public boat launch would be on the correct side of the lake for the view, but I can't say if you have much of a view from the boat launch itself. Maybe someone here can clarify.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am

BentRod wrote:You might try Clear Lake just north of Eatonville just off of SR 161. There are some great views of Rainer from that lake and the public boat launch would be on the correct side of the lake for the view, but I can't say if you have much of a view from the boat launch itself. Maybe someone here can clarify.
There is a view at the launch up against the west fence. But the gates don't open until 3rd Saturday in April. Then it will be very busy.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

Mowich is a drive to lake on the north side of Rainier. It's in the park but probably not open until June or so.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:Mowich is a drive to lake on the north side of Rainier. It's in the park but probably not open until June or so.
It is high altitude so you have to wait until the snow melts on the roads getting to it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 am

Also, if you think you would want to visit the lake now and then to think, then you'd need a lake you can get to during the winter, say at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. With a winter birthday.
Tom.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Clear Lake, Mineral, Kapowsin, are all on the west side so that isn't the north. Nor is Mowich.

Lake Washington is north of Mount Rainier?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Yes, Lake Washington is North and West of Mt Rainier.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:25 am

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think we will likely wait until Summer to do this anyway, so a lake that opens later in the season is okay.

Someone suggested Clear lake. My friend also suggested it. I saw some photos and it looks like a strong possibility.
Fisken Morder!!!

ScottinMilton
Petty Officer

Post by ScottinMilton » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:02 am

I fish clear lake the gates are not currently open but even in the busiest of times in the spring it is not very crowded you will be facing the east at the ramp there is no dock but if you have access to a party boat that would work for you no prettier view of Rainier around and a beautiful quiet lake, with plenty of eagles a closer option would be American lake
SCOTT JOHNSON
MILTON WA 98354
15 Boston whaler 50 hp Merc 6hp Merc
19 Arima Seachaser S/T 150 Yamaha 9.9 Yamaha =D>