Lakefront Recreatin Property

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Lakefront Recreatin Property

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 am

Our family went and spent the weekend at Mineral lake, did some camping, some fishing, and had an absolute blast! The experience was not without hassles though. We stayed at Mineral Lake Lodge and the bed was horribly uncomfortable. My in-laws took their RV down and stayed at a campground a ways away, and we had to make some back-and-forth trips because there was next to no cell coverage. Both my wife and her father have significant health problems, which makes traveling somewhat difficult. We all decided at the end of the weekend that we should do this more often, which got me to thinking...maybe we should look into buying a piece of recreation property on a little lake somewhere, so we can set it up for this and make everything a lot easier.

I would like to hear your experiences with rec properties, pros and cons of owning your own "campground," and suggestions of places where you can still buy property that are not outrageously priced or completely overdeveloped. I would like it to be in western Washington within 3 hours max from Seattle. Discuss :)
Fisken Morder!!!

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Lakefront Recreatin Property

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 am

meandermeadows wrote:......suggestions of places where you can still buy property that are not outrageously priced or completely overdeveloped. I would like it to be in western Washington within 3 hours max from Seattle. Discuss :)
There's your problem :) I think the odds of finding water front property that meet your criteria are pretty much nill.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 am

So in other words, they're all gone? Move to Idaho? ;)
Fisken Morder!!!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "reasonably priced" and "over developed", but as far as I know there is nothing within 3 hr of Seattle that even comes close to fitting that description on the water.

I dont know if you have to go as far as Idaho, or Oregon , but maybe so. For sure a lot further than 3 hrs away.

Have you called any realtors? That would be the best way to find out for sure.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 pm

There are a TON of lakes over in Mason County - many of them private.

A 'private lake' in Mason Co, much like in Kitsap County means no public access (members only), annual community fees (typically in the $150 - $200 range per year), to keep the lake stocked with trout on larger lakes, and to keep any community areas such as parks, launches in shape, and minimal property taxes compared to what we pay here along the I-5 corridor.

WaterFRONT can still set you back a pretty penny, however 'just across the road' lots can be had for a song.

A friend of mine picked up an approved building lot 'just across the road' from one of the beautiful lakes in Mason Co with full lake privileges for a mere $5K.

Cash of course - no bank wants a loan that small, and owner wanted to be cashed out. Right time, right place.

Diligence.

onmygame

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Funny you should mention Mason county...that is an area that I saw a couple of possibilities.

While I would be totally okay with "across the road," one of the main reasons I want to do this is because my FIL has some very difficult mobility issues. Launching and getting in a boat at a boat launch would be very difficult for him. I would love to have a place with my own dock and a platform type boat (maybe a pontoon or bass boat) so he could just walk on with his cane and I would have to worry about him heading to the ER
Fisken Morder!!!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm

My daughter and son in law had a home on the waterfront in Kitsap county on a private lake - Lake William Symington - for several years. This was maybe 10-12 years ago. They paid a pretty substantial premium to be on the water side of the road, even back then. They had a "dock" but it was very small, along with maybe 75 ft of water front.

The community park, that only the members could get into, was at one end of the lake. It had no dock.

If you want your own private dock, I think you're pretty much going to need to be on the water side of the road.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 am

If one was to want to build a dock, now would be the time to do it. EPA is in turmoil and they would have to sign off on any shoreline building anywhere.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 am

I have river front on the east fork satsop, best 5K I ever spent. Just get my neighbours grandchildren who take all my fire wood and leave garbage and block my access occasionally but they are usually only around on the 3day weekends.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Lived on a 'private lake' lake for 9 years. Wonderful. Signing on oceanfront next week...