Lake kachess

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
sickbayer
Commodore

Lake kachess

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Anyone been up there in a boat recently, was thinking of taking the family up but I don't want to drive all the way there to see that I cant launch the boat.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Lake kachess

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 pm

At the moment the forest service campground is open and it has a paved launch that you can use to put a 30' boat in with no issues. The only downside is there are no docks, so having an extra person along helps. A Northwest Forest pass gets you in for free, otherwise you need to purchase a day use permit that I think runs around $5.00 and you can pay at the park entrance. Kachess is still pretty full, graph says https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/yakima/yaktea.html it is at 93% capacity so most of the stumps and snags will be out of sight and you'll want to keep an eye out for them on your sonar. I'll be up there this Sunday, need to see how my new tow vehicle handles the pass.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured we get out of the crazy tubers and skiers in local lakes this weekend. Never fished it you got any tips mate?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:17 pm

The main lake holds the majority of the kokanee and Little Kachess is where I normally do better for trout. Small stacked bead spinners in silver/red combinations work well and I'll either work the deep waters just east of the launch or run south and fish the west shorelines for them. There are some macs and burbot and if it's not windy, jigging is the better option for targeting them. The lake also holds bull trout and you'll pick those up on occasion as well, they need to be released so if you have a descending device, bring it just in case.

Little Kachess has a 10 mph speed limit on it, so technically should be free of boaters and PWCs running around like nut jobs. However, I've never seen enforcement out on the lake and some people are just natural born a-holes and don't care how their actions effect others.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Little and large connected can I launch at main lake and motor to the little one?

Cancel that I've just looked kinda one big lake. Thanks for the tips I'll be bring my down riggers then. If I had electric trolling motor I'd defo jig but I don't . Cle elum Mack's I've dialed in. But this place will be new. I was thinking starting out with spoons and taking it from there.
Last edited by sickbayer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Some footage of the launch and lake...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Nice video Mike thanks.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 pm

That was a nice video!