BUILDING A FISHING FARM POND

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
noah the angler
Petty Officer

BUILDING A FISHING FARM POND

Post by noah the angler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Hello, my family is interested in building a farm pond. Whats a good size to dig it and whats a typical landscape to put it in? We are probably making it a bass/bluegill pond, so how much bass and bluegill would be in, lets say a pond that is a acre or less? Is there better fish options? Please give some info. [thumbup] [thumbup]

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: BUILDING A FISHING FARM POND

Post by hewesbob » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Questions like you are asking might be better asked some place other than a public forum, If state and federal agencies get word of you building a fish pond the permit process could take years to complete. You will have to prove where you are getting the water from to fill your pond and where your run off water will go, as well as prove that none of you fish washed out or released to any other waters. There will be folks that advise you you to just do it and to hell permits but I spent the last twenty years of my carrier working with water way permits and to do a one acre pond without permits would be like building housing complex without permits. Just my advise, you do what ever you want to do. Good luck

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Post by noah the angler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 am

cool, i will look into that.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Noah, there are 2 permits required, and a possible 3rd depending on results of inspections. It is all very clearly expressed on the WDFW website.

It’s not nearly as simple as digging a hole, and buying some fish, much more involved. The other poster was correct. they need to inspect every aspect. It’s all about not cross contaminating other waters, etc.

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Post by noah the angler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks for the info, I will do some research before posting on the forum! We will see those permits and I dont think anyone should reply on this forum till those permits are checked

Isaac Kiney
Angler

Post by Isaac Kiney » Wed May 15, 2019 11:07 am

Noah, I like the Idea of you making a Bass/Bluegill pond so you can fish but I have just 1 question, how are you gonna feed the fish or get all that water?