Bank fishing?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Pomdale
Angler

Bank fishing?

Post by Pomdale » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:49 am

What is the best place to go bank fishing? I haven't been able to get out fishing because my daughter has been too young and now I'm thinking she should be just about the right age to take her out fishing (3 years old) so I'm really excited to get out there and catch walleye preferably, but dont really know where to go with no boat??? So I'm hoping for a little direction here. Dont need a hot spot just a place theres a fish lol [thumbsup] I live in Spokane valley but not afraid to drive

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Bank fishing?

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Banks and Roosevelt are the only places in WA where you might have a reliable chance of catching a walleye from the bank but that's with crankbaits or jig and a worm. Liberty Lake supposedly has some (elusive) but bank access may be a challenge.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:56 am

The WDFW video on Walleye fishing is from the bank in Moses Lake. I would guess it would work anywhere there is a bridge or access where there are Walleye though. Worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__X_P-HVdIY

Places where walleye can be found.
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial ... _02/190845

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 am

Completely forgot about Moses Lake. [blush]

Even so, not many walleye bank angling opportunities for a 3yr old. While it's possible to catch a walleye still fishing from shore, it would much easier, and likely far more success, to target panfish from shore. Kids won't care what's on the line, just that something is. Liberty Lake is in the valley and should be decent once it warms up some. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm

hewesfisher wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 am
Completely forgot about Moses Lake. [blush]

Even so, not many walleye bank angling opportunities for a 3yr old. While it's possible to catch a walleye still fishing from shore, it would much easier, and likely far more success, to target panfish from shore. Kids won't care what's on the line, just that something is. Liberty Lake is in the valley and should be decent once it warms up some. [thumbup]
Good point. YOU could fish for Walleye while your kid works for panfish. It would be pretty funny if a worm on a bobber caught a nice Wally though. Would make a great story!

Pomdale
Angler

Post by Pomdale » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Either way I'm really excited to try, I think well head out to roosevelt and find a spot to try🙂🤞

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 am

I know a guy that buys a Tribal license and fishes successfully for walleye from the bank at the Little Falls dam

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Guess it's the fact I have a 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter (and will greet #2 first week of June) and thinking what would hold her interest combined with Pomdale's question that I suggested trying for panfish. Dad or Granpda might be happy pitching a crankbait or jig and worm trying to catch a walleye but if I wanted to get my daughter/granddaughter excited about catching fish, I'd be planning an activity that pretty much guarantees success. A lot of seasoned/skilled anglers work hard to catch walleye from a boat, let alone from shore.

Sorry if I misunderstood the motive, but I can't imagine a 3yr old being excited about watching a bobber that might never go down. Find a pocket of panfish, totally different story, and she won't care one bit whether it's a pumpkinseed, bluegill, or perch vs a walleye. [thumbsup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Machias River
Angler

Post by Machias River » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:58 pm

As you come down the hill to Little Falls Dam you can fish on the left bank where the spill over swings around and reconnects with the river. You don't need a tribal license for that part. They used to open it 1 Jun, but it's open all the time now. You will catch a ton of walleyes from the bank with husky jerks. If you go by yourself, hike around to where the water goes back into the river, you can smash some huge walleyes from the bank. Just be careful the rocks are treacherous when wet.

Options #2 for your little girl. I used to take my kids to Osborn Bay on Banks Lake. It was non-stop action for carp. My kids learned how to fight big fish on light tackle and line. They did not know carp was not a sought after fish and didn't care. We caught a bunch of 5 to 25 pound fish and it was a ton of fun for them. Just some corn and you are in business.