Stocked Trout Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tyson91
Angler

Stocked Trout Fishing

Post by tyson91 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Hey everyone, I'm very new to fishing. I am trying so hard to learn everything on my own as I have had the urge to venture out and try it myself. I have done so much research on figuring out the equipment and techniques to use but I still can't seem to get the hang of it. I have been out fishing for the past 3 days and only got one bite and the fish ran off with my hook and bait.

I have a local lake that is stocked with rainbow trout and I am fishing from the shore. I have a Ugly Stix Shakespeare GX2 Combo that is 6 ft 6 in and it is classified as a medium rod with a 6-15 lb capacity. Using the same reel it came with when I bought it.

I was initially using a Carolina rig with a 1/2 oz egg sinker, red glass bead, size 7 barrel swivel, 2-3 ft of leader line and size 8 hook. I was using Trilene XL 6lb mono for main line and Maxima ultra green 2lb mono for leader. I only got one bite after fishing for two days and it ran away with my hook and bait.

Today, I changed out my main line and leader. I am now using Segaur Invizx 6lb fluorocarbon for main line and Seguar Red Label 4lb fluorocarbon for leader line. No bites today.

For bait, I have tried Powerbait rainbow, Powerbait Garlic scent, Power eggs Chartruese, and Pautzke Salmon Egg Green Label.

I honestly don't know if my equipment is the problem or if my setup isn't right. I really need some help. If anyone would suggest what I may be doing wrong or have any tips, please let me know.

*One question*

For Carolina rigs, how far up should the hook float if I use Powerbait/Power Eggs? I tested a Carolina rig with like maybe 4-6 inches of leader line and tested it in shallow water just to see how it would look in water with a Power Egg. All I saw was that the hook wasn't laying on the bottom but just slightly lifted from the bottom due to the Power Egg. Is this normal or should the hook be higher than that? I just keep wondering if that may be why I'm not catching anything because it's not visible to the stocked trout.

Bob R
Petty Officer

Re: Stocked Trout Fishing

Post by Bob R » Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Check Private message. Bob R

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am

Power bait should float your hook up off the bottom a ways. How long is your leader? Most of the lakes have milfoil or weeds, so a longer leader will help get you out of the weeds. Like a 6’ leader. The rest of your setup sounds pretty good.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:37 am

First thing is, it is fishing. Sometimes nothing works. There is a local lake that is stocked I have fished over the years and I have been skunked many times.
With stocked fish sometimes you can try and match color and size with what the WDFW is feeding them, if they are newly released, to get a bite.
Your setup sounds Ok other than loosing the hook and bait. Tie some knots and test them for strength. Sounds like you may need to change something up there.
If you can get a longer, lighter pole you may find you are missing 'the bite' with the set up you have. I use the 9' Ugly Stik ultra light a lot and find many times I can SEE the bite WAY before I can feel it, if I feel it at all.
Since I got Panoptix I find there are a lot more fish than I knew were there 'looking' but not biting, or 'nibbling' and not taking the whole thing.
Good luck!