worm drop shot

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Knucklebuster
Angler

worm drop shot

Post by Knucklebuster » Fri May 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Hey, has anyone tried a drop shot for deep lake trout? I'm thinking of a lake that has some steep walls and don't have a fish finder to see them. I'm thinking of setting up a drop rig to bounce off the wall drop-off to see if I can find some fish. What do yo think? Any suggestions? I like the idea of using a split shot at the bottom of my line with a slider above that in case I get caught up on something. TIA!

pickardjw
Petty Officer

Re: worm drop shot

Post by pickardjw » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:39 am

If you're going blind it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I don't know how much they like worms but they are a trout. I see meat (herring, pikeminnow, etc) being recommended more often. And they do seem to like it when you stir up the bottom like that. This is coming from a guy that got skunked to only time I tried for them...I have exhausted YouTube's laker video database though.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: worm drop shot

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm

Knucklebuster,

When you say “Using a split shot to drop shot for Lake Trout, and worms, etc”. I am assuming you are not talking about Lake Trout, but you must be referring to trout?
A split shot and sliding sinker won’t be much good at 100-125’ in terms of drop shotting.
I usually use 2-3 oz of lead, with a large salt water bottom fish type plastic worm, or better 2-3 oz jigs such as used for LingCod, etc.