Lake Crescent vs Lake Sutherland

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
pickardjw
Petty Officer

Lake Crescent vs Lake Sutherland

Post by pickardjw » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:23 am

I'm going to be camping out near Port Angeles this weekend and I'm split between fishing Lake Crescent or Lake Sutherland. I've read all the reports for both lakes and it's a tough choice!

Lake Sutherland Pros:
Good Kokanee population (I've never caught one)
Allowed to retain fish
Allowed to use bait
Overall chances of success are probably higher
Boat launch access seems easier

Lake Crescent Pros:
Endemic beardslee trout population (never caught one of these either, obviously)

I am going to fish Saturday and Sunday hopefully, so I could do both lakes theoretically. Is it worth potentially getting skunked to try for a Beardslee or should I try to stack up some Kokes? Don't have a downrigger but should be able to get some lures down to them.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Lake Crescent vs Lake Sutherland

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 pm

I have not fished Crescent but have fished Sutherland (there's a video on our YouTube page). I would fish Sutherland. Although, Crescent would be the pretty lake to be on...and also get blown off if it gets windy. Two days, heck, try em both. Or, fish Sutherland in the morning for the kok bite and Crescent the rest of the day, they are that close.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

pickardjw
Petty Officer

Post by pickardjw » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:44 am

That's a good idea Mike, hadn't really given a two lake day a thought. While I have your ear, is there anything to catch shore fishing up that way? I'm going to be staying at a place with beach access and figure I could spend some late afternoon/evening time with a rod in the water.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:04 pm

pickardjw wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:44 am
That's a good idea Mike, hadn't really given a two lake day a thought. While I have your ear, is there anything to catch shore fishing up that way? I'm going to be staying at a place with beach access and figure I could spend some late afternoon/evening time with a rod in the water.
I assume you mean saltwater? You may be able to pick off some surf perch.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Sutherland would be my choice for fry-pan fish. The kokanee are willing biters and downriggers are not required.

Salt or Freshwater shore fishing will be kind of tough. Not a lot of options in the area.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:09 pm

Agreed on the wind at Crescent. It can be brutal, but the lake is so beautiful. I don't know how, but I managed to catch a trout from the shore a few years ago. I thought I had my beardsly trout, then I looked at it was a cuttthroat. No complaining, though. It was a tough catch and I earned it, lol. The poor trout's take was so subtle that I was not only in denial when I started reeling up the slack, but also the trout didn't even realize it was hooked as it swam toward me, and unafraid. I take it these trout don't get pressured much. Good luck!

pickardjw
Petty Officer

Post by pickardjw » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:26 am

Went to Lake Sutherland, only one koke and he came off at the boat! Some gorgeous cutthroat in the lake though.