Crappie in Black Lake, Thurston Co.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bay wolf
Commander

Crappie in Black Lake, Thurston Co.

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 pm

:scratch: I know that Black lake here in Olympia has a good population of Crappie. I've even seen guys with a nice cooler of fish. I have tried several times to fish for them and have always got skunked. I can catch trout on this lake, but the crappie and perch have eluded me to the point of embarrassment. Most to the issue is, I have no experience fishing crappie. Been watching YouTube, and I have the gear I think I need, what I don't have is the experience. Soooooo... is there anyone in the area that can show me the basics? I am pretty much open as to time and days. Not looking for secret honey hole, just some good ol fashioned "How To".

Thanks. Please PM me.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

spokey9
Captain

Re: Crappie in Black Lake, Thurston Co.

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:06 pm

I can't show you any spots (I'm a bit away from there) but crappie love wood...docks, fallen trees, limb piles. Rock piles are good place to check too. I'm no expert but those are the types of places I've found them with any consistency. They can be a weird fish though cause at times they'll school up away from any structure at all.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Bay wolf
Commander

Re: Crappie in Black Lake, Thurston Co.

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:22 pm

spokey9 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:06 pm
I can't show you any spots (I'm a bit away from there) but crappie love wood...docks, fallen trees, limb piles. Rock piles are good place to check too. I'm no expert but those are the types of places I've found them with any consistency. They can be a weird fish though cause at times they'll school up away from any structure at all.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking in all those places. I've been kinda targeting those already, but they either aren't there or they aren't interested in what I'm offering.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)