Sturgeon help? (hanford reach)

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
beerman1981
Commander

Sturgeon help? (hanford reach)

Post by beerman1981 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm

I am a complete rookie to sturgeon fishing, and discovered that there is an incredible sturgeon fishery less than fifty miles from my house (The hanford reach of the Columbia). I purchased a "fish n' map" of the section and have pin pointed all of the major holes on this stretch of river (King hole, Lava Hole, powerline hole, K and N reactor hole, etc). The biggest problem is the obvious, I don't have a boat. This means, I am going to be attempting this from shore!!!!! I was planning on targeting "King Hole," which is about a half mile west of the Vernita bridge. I have done a little research, and I think I have the basics for attempting this feat. I have a very long rod that I purchased for surf fishing, accompanied by a very heavy duty Okuma saltwater real. I also have four ounce slip weights that I plan to use to get my line out.

I know that sturgeon fishing from the bank is a possible feat because a 'friend of a friend' fishes this stretch of the Columbia religiously during the summer (from the bank) and is quite successfull. I have seen pictures before though, and they are quite impressive.

I have found that baits such as cut up salmon, smelt, fresh shad and shrimp are all very good baits, and that fresher is better. I was planning on gearing up with about 30-40 pound test, and with the large weights, I think I will be able to get into the King Hole fairly easy.

Do any of you have any further advice? If my plan sounds completely idiotic, let me know, haha. But any advice would be greatly appreciative.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

RE:Sturgeon help? (hanford reach)

Post by Reel_Nut » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 am

DONT FORGET A TAPE MEASURE

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am

First, check out the video I just posted. Even though it's from a boat, it may still be helpful. Especially Lou's advice about a short leader. Next - I'd spool up with even heavier line - 80 pound is what we used. Make sure you have a STOUT rod, no salmon-type rods - heavy duty bottom fishing gear is what's called for here. The new lines are quite narrow in diameter and that should work well. As Lou said, you don't want to stress the fish out - bring him in as quick as you can. Trust me, it will still be an awesume battle. Good luck! Watch the way Lou rigs up the salmon belly, very helpful and note that short leader!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Mike Carey wrote:First, check out the video I just posted. Even though it's from a boat, it may still be helpful. Especially Lou's advice about a short leader. Next - I'd spool up with even heavier line - 80 pound is what we used. Make sure you have a STOUT rod, no salmon-type rods - heavy duty bottom fishing gear is what's called for here. The new lines are quite narrow in diameter and that should work well. As Lou said, you don't want to stress the fish out - bring him in as quick as you can. Trust me, it will still be an awesume battle. Good luck! Watch the way Lou rigs up the salmon belly, very helpful and note that short leader!
Thanks for the input Mike!!!!:cheers: I can't seem to see the video though? Where is it?

Beerman

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Beerman,

Are you totally happy with the rod that you have chosen? I bought a huge rod about 7-8 years ago for the purpose of bank fishing sturgeon on the Columbia. Then it turns out that I never have made the time to go down there. I would send it no cost to you if you are interested.
Just as long as the shipping isn't ridiculous. It has never been used. The first eye up from the reel unfortunately lost the circle ring. All other eyes and everything are like new. You could still fish it without that eye or it would be an easy replacement.
Anyway,, whatever, if your interested pm me. I don't need anything for it, just happy to give it to someone who would use it.
btw I am about to finally get started on making a copy of that sweet rod holder you've got.

Go to the link at the bottom of post for my webshots, open that, and click on the fishing rod file, go to the right and click on slide show.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 am

Beerman,
I have a cousin in the Tri-Cities who fishes for sturgeon from shore and has had success. Not sure of the set up he uses, but he and buddy were able to land a 9 footer over the summer, although he said it took both of them to do it. Of course they couldn't keep it. My Dad and Uncles also used to fish above the Vernita bridge back in the day and that was done from shore too. It CAN be done. Good luck.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Beerman,
Stiff rod and heavy line. 80# test fishing from shore. Straight up plunking setup, Drop line to the weight about foot long, 3 foot leader and some fresh sand shrimp. Use enough weight to hold the gear in place.
Rod holder with long spike, lawn chair, book. 2- 12 packs in the cooler and plenty of food. Oh yeah a bell for the rod.

Good Luck!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Sweet, I've got all the above (except the line which I need to pick up). The beer is good advice too! I've heard when the sturgeon bite, it's either one of two situations: 1) A full out asault, which is self explanitory, or 2) Light nibbling. Now if it's light nibbling, do I wait for it to take the bait and start stripping out line, or do I instantly set the hook at first signs of nibbling? Oh, and can you buy sand shrimp on the east side of the mountains?

Beerman

Bodofish wrote:Beerman,
Stiff rod and heavy line. 80# test fishing from shore. Straight up plunking setup, Drop line to the weight about foot long, 3 foot leader and some fresh sand shrimp. Use enough weight to hold the gear in place.
Rod holder with long spike, lawn chair, book. 2- 12 packs in the cooler and plenty of food. Oh yeah a bell for the rod.

Good Luck!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:48 pm

I caught one below Priest rapids dam on a sand shrimp. Also lost a few...
I don't believe you can fish from shore down there anymore. Last I was there they had the whole area fenced off. There used to be a road that went up the other side (west side) I don't know if you can go up that way anymore either.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:56 pm

beerman1981 wrote:Sweet, I've got all the above (except the line which I need to pick up). The beer is good advice too! I've heard when the sturgeon bite, it's either one of two situations: 1) A full out asault, which is self explanitory, or 2) Light nibbling. Now if it's light nibbling, do I wait for it to take the bait and start stripping out line, or do I instantly set the hook at first signs of nibbling? Oh, and can you buy sand shrimp on the east side of the mountains?

Beerman

Bodofish wrote:Beerman,

Good Luck!
They usually slurp it up and start to lumber off. Slow pull then when they figure they have a hook in the mouth!!!!!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!