Minn Kota holding charge?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Minn Kota holding charge?

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 pm

:-({|= Since the Minn Kota is a freshwater motor, I'll post my question here.
I have the 55# thrust version. I am running one of the Trojan deep cylce motors ( 115 amps/hour)
Minn K. asked for 100 amp/hour

When I use my 6 amp 12 volt marine charger over a 12 hour period, I go out on the lake and the "battery check"
meter reads, fully charged. After even like 10 minutes it will say like.. "Good" A little later I will either get a reading of Fully charged again, OR it may go down to only "Fair Charge" It basicly goes all over the place, and scares the bejeebees out of me, and then when I tuck it in at night it just pisses me off and says it is good.

Do you all find this meter thing accurate? I mean why shouldn't it be? Do you agree with my battery choice and charger choice? Thanks for your thoughts.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

bigastrout
Commander

RE:Minn Kota holding charge?

Post by bigastrout » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Is the battery check meter part of the trolling motor?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Lou
Petty Officer

Post by Lou » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:48 pm

Ok, I saw this happening when I first bought a battery testing case for my battery. It says in the specs to wait 30-60secs after the motor is off to test the battery, as that will skew the results. So I'd suggest trying that before using your battery meter. If you already are doing that, then this questions is probably for the battery savy readers.

-Lou

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Yea its part of the motor...I wouldn't rely on those....Just bring some oars along with you and your good to go...If you run the motor really hard for like 5 minutes, like speed 3 and up, it will probably go down to fair, and I guess it just wobbles around...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Hey Quad - Does your marine battery charger produce a constant 6 amps or does it start at 6 and then drop to a trickle charge? Reason I ask is you shouldn't run a set high amp charge on deep cycle batteries, they prefer a long low amp charge rate vs shorter high amp one. My battery charger adjusts to the load and as the battery reaches a higher state of charge it drops the amperage accordingly, eventually going to a trickle charge mode once the battery is at full charge.

As for the battery state indicator on your trolling motor, the one I had on my old Minn Kota was useless too. When I was running on battery only, I always had a second one for backup. ;-)
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount