Summer lake near Lake Cavenaugh (Skagit County)

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Summer lake near Lake Cavenaugh (Skagit County)

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Twice now while going to lake Cavenaugh (Skagit County) I have passed what Google maps says is a lake called Summer lake. It is about 5 miles West of Lake Cavenaugh along the Lk. Cav. road. Does anyone know anything about this little lake? It is very small 5-7 acres. It looks very "Bassy" and appears to be accesible through the woods just off the road.
Sure would like to hear something about it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

rseas
Commander

RE:Summer lake near Lake Cavenaugh (Skagit County)

Post by rseas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 pm

We have noticed the lake also. Don’t know anything about it but I was thinking that it would be a good cutthrout lake. We just ordered the Navionics HotMaps Premium for our Humminbird and I was wondering if the lake might be one of the charted lakes?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm

rseas wrote:We have noticed the lake also. Don’t know anything about it but I was thinking that it would be a good cutthrout lake. We just ordered the Navionics HotMaps Premium for our Humminbird and I was wondering if the lake might be one of the charted lakes?
Take a look when you get the charts and post back if it says anything about it.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Sounds like you may be onto what I would call a "secret lake" this could be your own little honey hole! Might want to keep this one for yourself. LOL
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 am

yeah i passed that pond to theres nothing in it:-" :-#:^o :^o i was wondering the same thing. man im wishing i didn't get rid of my toon!!#-o
fish on!

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:58 am

Skagit County's Summer Lake is located about 3 miles NE from McMurray Lake. It covers about 8 surface acres and lies at an elevation of 522 feet. Supposedly it contains rainbow and cutthroat trout but it lies close to McMurray -- McMurray contains largemouth bass so I would not be surprised if some bucket biologist has not stocked it with bass. Looking forward to reports this spring.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Oh yes...been there many times...expect to find (at least):

Crappie
LM Bass
Cutthroat Trout
Rainbow Trout

There is a powerline road/gate across from the lake which provides a reasonable pull-out.
Most (if not all) of the shoreline is nothing more than a marshy, boggy mess of muck. A few "locals" have dropped some 2x4's over this provide access in two areas near the pull-out. Wear rubber boots, or be prepared to moved a few steps every minute or two, as the ground is pretty squishy and has a tendency to sink.

The water is darkly stained--almost black.

The areas that are fishable from shore will provide some action, but the edge of the lake opposite the road provides the best fishing...unfortunately, launching a canoe or small boat can be a tedious task and it will be pretty much impossible to get there from shore!

My recommendations...bright orange or white hardware...

My best fish was a 10.5" crappie.....abd a slender 12.5" cutt...most everthing else has been from the dink family.
This lake has had VERY LITTLE fishing pressure over the years--but I have noticed a little more wear and tear in the last year or so.

If you've got a bicycle, or don't mind some walking, there are a few decent small ponds nearby that hold thick populations of (stunted) brook trout. Also, Day Lake can be accessed from the Lake Cavanaugh area...though all the logging roads are gated. Non-motorized access is permitted, and there are a few OLD (mostly abandoned) dirtbike trails from the Walker Valley ORV park that will get you there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
rseas wrote:We have noticed the lake also. Don’t know anything about it but I was thinking that it would be a good cutthrout lake. We just ordered the Navionics HotMaps Premium for our Humminbird and I was wondering if the lake might be one of the charted lakes?
Take a look when you get the charts and post back if it says anything about it.
A quick follow-up:

I just checked the USPS tracking information and I should revieve my "HotMaps" Friday the 26th.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

rseas,

So what does that mean, to receive your "Hot maps?" is it just a map of the area or something? Thanks btw for the follow through on this. I am very excited to get on this lake soon. I could go anytime I suppose, I just thought I'd wait until the water temps rise.
Good luck on Lk. WA. btw. let us know how you do.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:12 pm

The Quadfather wrote:rseas,

So what does that mean, to receive your "Hot maps?" is it just a map of the area or something? Thanks btw for the follow through on this. I am very excited to get on this lake soon. I could go anytime I suppose, I just thought I'd wait until the water temps rise.
I ordered the Navionics HotMaps Premimum/West on Micro CD. HotMaps Premium/West charts lakes and rivers in 12 states in the western US. I had looked at a partial list and it includes a number of beaver pond type lakes so I am thinking that Summner may be on there. I'll let you know if its there once I revieve the charts and plug them into my sonar/GPS.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Bscman wrote:Oh yes...been there many times...expect to find (at least):

Crappie
LM Bass
Cutthroat Trout
Rainbow Trout

There is a powerline road/gate across from the lake which provides a reasonable pull-out.
Most (if not all) of the shoreline is nothing more than a marshy, boggy mess of muck. A few "locals" have dropped some 2x4's over this provide access in two areas near the pull-out. Wear rubber boots, or be prepared to moved a few steps every minute or two, as the ground is pretty squishy and has a tendency to sink.

The water is darkly stained--almost black.

The areas that are fishable from shore will provide some action, but the edge of the lake opposite the road provides the best fishing...unfortunately, launching a canoe or small boat can be a tedious task and it will be pretty much impossible to get there from shore!

My recommendations...bright orange or white hardware...

My best fish was a 10.5" crappie.....abd a slender 12.5" cutt...most everthing else has been from the dink family.
This lake has had VERY LITTLE fishing pressure over the years--but I have noticed a little more wear and tear in the last year or so.

If you've got a bicycle, or don't mind some walking, there are a few decent small ponds nearby that hold thick populations of (stunted) brook trout. Also, Day Lake can be accessed from the Lake Cavanaugh area...though all the logging roads are gated. Non-motorized access is permitted, and there are a few OLD (mostly abandoned) dirtbike trails from the Walker Valley ORV park that will get you there.
Very detailed information. Pretty cool that you shared it, thanks!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:08 am

rseas wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:rseas,

I ordered the Navionics HotMaps Premimum/West on Micro CD. HotMaps Premium/West charts lakes and rivers in 12 states in the western US. I had looked at a partial list and it includes a number of beaver pond type lakes so I am thinking that Summner may be on there. I'll let you know if its there once I revieve the charts and plug them into my sonar/GPS.
I received my Navionics HotMaps Premium yesterday. After installing it in my Humminbird and reviewing a number of my favorite fishing areas I was very pleased with the product. Searching further I have noticed that Baker Lake and Lake Shannon are not included in the charted lakes. This proved to be a major surprise and a bit disappointing. Regarding Summer Lake, it is noted on the base map but there is no detail provided. Overall I am excited to start exploring the cartography provided through my new Navionics HotMaps Premium and I hope that future surprises are limited.

Big Laker
Angler

Post by Big Laker » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 pm

BE carefull when walking around this lake. The lake shoreline is floating logs with growth on top. It is possible to get sucked in and have it close back up which could be instant death. There are a few access points which have planking but i would not venture off those paths or really watch your step. Drag a canoe or small aluminum boat in at these access points and camp out on the floating island. Fishing can be pretty consistent whith crappie,bass,cutthroat once the water warms up. Not sure of the ownership of this piece of water any more . Seen a reality sign at the best access point years ago followed by a big chunk of concrete blocking the road in. Been awhile since ive fished it . Bring nightcrawlers, floating stick baits and micro jigs and work the edges and pockets. You'll catch all three species on these presentations . Very unique and special lake. Pack it in / Pack it out! Enjoy.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:45 pm

On lakes with alot of floating logs, look around sometimes you can find one big enough to paddle out into the lake! Ive done this in the past and tied off to shore for the next trip, on a small lake it works great and no need for a float tube or boat. Up on Mt Pilchuck I've done this on a couple small natural lakes that are surrounded by a ton of floating old growth with bushes growing on them. Its alot of fun.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 pm

I will be hitting this lake in April sometime and looking forward to it. I just want the water a little warmer, it's a long drive from Seattle so would like to put the odds in my favor.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:01 pm

quad, let me know if ya want a fishin buddy
fish on!

Big Laker
Angler

Post by Big Laker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:07 pm

The floating island is a cool feature of this lake and the only spot i trust to walk on. Its a fairly deep lake considering it doesnt look like it. I'D wait until the local lakes hit upper 50's low 60's which could be anywhere between next week or memorial day with the sporadic weather we have. l would love a good couple weeks of 60's and 70's with warmer nights to get things going. 40's and 50's and rain doesnt get me excited any more since I've hung up the snow skis and don't have any buddies with snowmobiles. Snow on the hills this morning so im leaning towards late may to get my koke fix and top water hula poppen bass smashin extravaganza on.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm right behind you Big Laker... I am watching the temps. every week in anticipation of hitting this lake.:salut:

4r7wHMg5Yjg