New Boat!

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
blurock
Warrant Officer

RE:New Boat!

Post by blurock » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:05 am

Matt wrote:Well now....I am pretty sure if you wish to change a boats name there is a special procedure to follow so it is not completely out of the question..... anyone have some insight on this??

Personally I don't think boats under 20 feet really need a name, but my boat is only 17 and its got a name..... (can't post it here though.... lol).
I read up on it, and it takes some fanfair and lots of champagne lol
I would agree with you Matt... that the little boats don't really need a name. I don't need to change it, I just want it off the side of the boat haha!
Fish Like A Girl

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Blurock
Another congrats on your boat. I agree with keeping your travel speed low, it will help. I'm sure you already know this, but start checking your transmission fluid more often now. I have a 2002 Mazda B4000 4x4 pickup with a 4.0 liter engine. It does okay with my 18' Smokercraft sled with Shorelander trailer. It's a heavy set-up for my truck. Your boat is even more stout. I venture to say you have a 3.6 liter in your SUV. It's always something to think about, but changing oil/fluid is VERY cheap insurance. Supper cool boat though!!

Rivercamp72

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Rivercamp72 wrote:Another congrats on your boat. I agree with keeping your travel speed low, it will help. I'm sure you already know this, but start checking your transmission fluid more often now. I have a 2002 Mazda B4000 4x4 pickup with a 4.0 liter engine. It does okay with my 18' Smokercraft sled with Shorelander trailer. It's a heavy set-up for my truck. Your boat is even more stout. I venture to say you have a 3.6 liter in your SUV. It's always something to think about, but changing oil/fluid is VERY cheap insurance. Supper cool boat though!!
And I'll add mine too! I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble towing with your Escape, but a word of caution, do not tow in overdrive. If you can turn your overdrive off, I recommend you do so.

I tow our 20' Hewescraft with my '04 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4X4 (4.0 SOHC, 5spd auto, 4.10 gears) and it does just fine, but I always tow with OD off. That was a tip I got from very trusted Ford rep who sold lots of transmissions due to towing in OD. On the flats or downhill - fine, but if you're climbing at all, OD off should be standard practice. I've compared mileage both ways, with OD on for downhill and flats, and off all the way to Roosevelt (from Spokane) and it's the same either way. Even a little extra fuel is better than the cost of a new tranny. Btw, my loaded boat and trailer (gear, cooler, 48gals fuel, etc.) tip the scales at 3600lbs, I can't imagine yours would be more than that. :)

Looking forward to seeing some bloody decks! [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:21 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been turning the OD off on the steeper hills where my escape has to work a little harder, but now I'll just leave it off.
The boats really not as bad as I thought it would hauling.

I'll be sure to post pics when we get some more fish in it! Or some real fish at least! It at least knows how to catch perch! lol ;)
Fish Like A Girl

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 pm

It's a real "perch" of a boat. Get it? Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 am

Hey Blurock,

SWEET BOAT!!!!!! You mentioned feeling giddy when you're out in it. I don't think that feeling really ever goes away. I love my Hewes Craft and every time I'm out in it including today at Lake Cavanaugh for Kokanee, it just feels good. So get use to that great feeling, it doesn't get old. It's also a great feeling when people come up to you and tell you they love your boat. Man that feels great. Love it!! Anyway, congrats to you, and enjoy!

Dave
Last edited by Dave on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 am

Haha, I don't know if I am more "giddy" or scared S-less when I run a section of upper river I have never hit before. LOL!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 am

Matt, its not the upstream run but its the downstream run that tightens the sphincters!
Life's short - fish hard!

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:19 am

Dave wrote:Hey Blurock,

SWEET BOAT!!!!!! You mentioned feeling giddy when you're out in it. I don't think that feeling really ever goes away. I love my Hewes Craft and every time I'm out in it including today at Lake Cavanaugh for Kokanee, it just feels good. So get use to that great feeling, it doesn't get old. It's also a great feeling when people come up to you and tell you they love your boat. Man that feels great. Love it!! Anyway, congrats to you, and enjoy!

Dave
Thanks Dave!

I already had people drooling a little, and telling me they liked my boat at the gas station when I was bringing it home. It's a good feeling! And it feels good just to sit in it in the driveway! Haha, I sure hope the feeling never wears off, it's a good one :)
Fish Like A Girl

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I may be a bassboat kinda guy, but I know a sweet rig when I see one! :) Congratulations, that's a real beauty Blurock! Have fun!
Dave
Last edited by davidwat1 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com