Kayak fishing

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
VHMLLC
Commander

Kayak fishing

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm looking to sell my two toons and buy a fishing kayak. I'm looking for any comments and suggestions that might be offered, and I'm sure there will be.#-o I think the accessablity will be greater than with a toon.
Thank you all.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Kayak fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Send a PM to a guy named Kayak Chris, another guy who goes by Eastside Redneck. Either one are very versed in kayak fishing. There are a couple of great forums out there also, for kayak fishing. It is late, I'm tired, etc. otherwise I'd send a link.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I took the plunge this year and bought a sit on top yak. A Hobie Pro Angler that you pedal not paddle. I tried sit in yaks back in the 70's but they were not designed for fishing. The Hobie Outback and Revolution are good pedal yaks. If you want to paddle the Wilderness Systems Tarpon series, Cobra fish & dive (a pig to paddle but very stable) and Navigator, Malibu's Stealth and X-Factor and the Ocean Trident series are the big players. There are a lot of other mfgs in the game, but these are the big guys. Sit inside yaks are OK but don't fish as well as the sit on tops do.
Yaks are a lot of fun and good exercise for those of us in need. I've caught a lot of fish from mine this year and enjoy it the yak so much that my Whaler has only been out of the garage once since May.
Northwest kayak anglers has a good website for those who yak.
Life's short - fish hard!

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you all for the info. Bitting the bullet is an under statement. :king: The hobbie is an awsome rig, but convincing my that I need it will be a um ,well let just say I'm going to end up with a 5-7 hundred$ sit on yak. It looks like a lot more fun than the toons and may more useful to.
Dicks has a nice one that will do to start lots of paddling but I need the exercise.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Stan,

Don't forget to check Craigs List. I've seen some real bargains on quality yaks there.
Life's short - fish hard!

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 am

If you can't afford to buy a new yak in the 900-1200$ range, do yourself a huge favor and get something off of craigslist. Buying a used yak is way better than buying an inferior 'new' kayak. Again, go check out northwestkayakanglers.com LOTS of kayak reviews and info there.
Lee

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks lee will do
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Where are you in your quest to find the ultimate fishing kayak?

Sorry that I am chiming in on this so late but I just noticed the thread. Among other things I used to be a licensed kayak fishing guide. I have spent many hours paddling inshore bays and harbors and off shore Southern California and Baja waters in pursuit of a variety of fish. As part of my guide service I also did custom kayak rigging for fishermen. The kayak you choose will depend on your weight, height and the longest distance that you will be traveling to get to the fish. Equally as important is your choice of paddles. Length, shaft cross section, fabrication material, blade size and shape will all effect performance and paddling endurance. Please feel free to ask specific questions and as best as possible I will provide detailed answers.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:55 am

Hey rseas, you should join our discussions at northwestkayakanglers.com :cheers:
Lee

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:14 am

Thank you for that info, I have heard that the paddles make a big differance. And as lee said I found a ton of info on nwka.com
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:18 pm

It's the end of the season- I've seen a bunch of places that rent kayaks selling their rental yaks at about half price. Check some of those.....that is if you haven't already bought one.
Someone here in Spokane won a 12' trident angler and is selling it for $750, still in the wrapper.
I'm kind of partial to the Nu Canoe, but I've only seen one for sale in this area.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.