Battery Drain?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Lotech Joe
Commodore

Battery Drain?

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:10 am

I've found myself thinking about fish finders lately. My question here is, does and electronic fish finder drain a battery so bad that you can't use your trolling battery or should you get a separate battery? I've never used one before and was wondering. :-k
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:Battery Drain?

Post by Easy Limits » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:36 am

I had a 14' boat that I ran my fishfinder and electric motor off the same battery. It was a 27 series battery and the battery was usually good for six hours of fishing. I always knew when the battery was dying because the fishfinder would shut off before the trolling motor would stop working.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 am

If you buy a decent battery you should have no problem. If you don't wanna run the risk, there are a handful of fishfinders that run on like 8 AA batteries. I just picked on up last Friday and used it over the weekend. I love it. I know its made by Eagle but I'll pull out the box later and post a picture of the actual fishfinder for you Lotech...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 am

They draw very little. I have a small 12v that I use and I can run the fish finder all day for about a week before having to charge it.

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 pm

My recommendation is if the electric trolling motor is your only means of power you would be much safer using one of the "aa" battery style. Heck you can even get some rechargable batteries to save on the costs.
SAFETY FIRST WHEN BOATING.
needabiggerboat,
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:I've found myself thinking about fish finders lately. My question here is, does and electronic fish finder drain a battery so bad that you can't use your trolling battery or should you get a separate battery?
The only way that would happen is if you are running a high powered sonar off your trolling motor battery. I ran an electric trolling motor and fish finder off a deep cycle battery in my old 14' Hewes for years and never ran the battery down to where it wouldn't still run the sonar or motor. Of course, I had gas power to get me back to the launch if necessary.

In my new Hewes, I have my sonar (4KW dual frequency) and my GPS wired into the boat's electrical system and my bow mount trolling motor has it's own, isolated, battery. I carry a portable battery box "just in case" since I have run the main battery down low enough where it wouldn't even turn the 90hp motor over. It was a dumb mistake on my part, running sonar, GPS, & electronic remote control for the kicker and not running the big motor long enough to charge the battery. I learned a lesson that day and we enjoyed a long, leisurely cruise back to the launch with the kicker for power.

If you're concerned, Cabela's sells a small 8 amp-hour 12v rechargeable battery ($29.99 with charger) that you can run your sonar with and life will be good. o:)
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:07 pm

This all sounds good. Thanks you all for the input. Now I'm going to have to sell some stuff off so I can get that sonar. Anyone have one for trade?
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Lotech-
Here is the information on the Cabela's battery.

I have had mine for about 6 years and it is still holding strong.
Attachments
Cabelas_Battery.tiff
Cabelas_Battery.tiff (174.34 KiB) Viewed 6474 times

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 pm

In the past I had a 13 footer with a trolling motor and depth finder and had no problems now I have a 19 ft Four Winns with a depth finder, lights, bildge pump, radio, trolling motor, etc. and still have never had any problems

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:40 am

I just bought a sweet Eagle Portable one for like $139.99 at Joes...It works fantastic and it doesn't break the bank, and it's perfect for anyone with a little boat that needs a portable fish finder.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue May 01, 2007 6:42 pm

All of a sudden, my battery drain worries are over. One of the guys I work with needed to get rid of a marine deep cycle battery. It was taking up space in his garage so he gave it to me. I checked to see if it still had a charge and it did. So, it's on my battery charger as we speak. With this kind of power I should be able to troll around Waitts Lake from sunup to sundown.
I'm still looking for a trade fish finder though.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Just cause it holds a charge doesn't mean its good. If its over 2 years old, I'd be wary of it, and I hope he kept the battery charged because deep cycles need to be atleast 90% charged when stored or they can go bad...

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 pm

The battery has been plugged into the charger for 2 hours now. It's still taking a charge. Things are looking good.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Sam is a smart man. An old deep cycle battery can go bad just from sitting around to long.
At least be prepaired your first time out with it.
needabiggerboat,
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!