Yamaha outboard service

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
beeman
Petty Officer

Yamaha outboard service

Post by beeman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 am

I am in Snohomish and looking for a good and preferably not too expensive service shop. I have a Yamaha 40hp and the shop I just went to seemed ok but after they were done decided to let me know they did not have the computers for electronics on the Yamaha, kinda wish I had known that going in.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Yamaha outboard service

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 am

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

Lynnwood Marine on 196th. I left what I thought was a great shop, and started doing business with these guys. I like them a lot.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm sure they're wonderful people and top notch mechanics as well as being sponsors (gold star for that) but the guy lives in Snohomish. That's at least 200 miles through some of the worst traffic in the nation, to have any service done ............. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 pm

He asked, that's the only one I remember, and I think more like 50 miles. [biggrin]

And some people had to take their boats to Walla Walla which is about 7 hours away from the greater Seattle area, which is why Limit Out was opened, to keep from having to drag the boat that far, each way.
Tom.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 pm

50 miles one way, which means X4 to get it there and pick it up. It aint McDonalds, you can't just drive it through. Taking your boat for a 7-8 hour round trip for service is just crazy, I hope they were getting some fishing in on the way there and back. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Oh ya, I forgot about the round trip, and making 4 laps. [biggrin]
Tom.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Lynnwood Marine on 196th. I left what I thought was a great shop, and started doing business with these guys. I like them a lot.
I have used these guys for years- awesome service experience for north enders!
Always had me in and out with 100% satisfaction.
Cast first, worry later.

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 am

I will have to check them out, looks like the place I used was not a good choice. I have been replacing all the wiring due to some issues and decided that while I was at it I would check the cyclinder compression as I was curious as to what it was.
Turns out the compression is fine, but one of the new plugs they installed was still as clean as when it was taken out of the packaging (has about an hour running on it) This is a clear sign that the cylinder is not firing.
I am not sure how a mechanic doing a service and tune up could miss the fact that one cyclinder is not firing.
It was getting late so I have not had a chance to diagnose the problem but could end up being another $100 on top of the $340 I already paid for a so called service and tune up.

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

As I was not happy with the Service/tuneup I had previously got and as I could not afford another $300+ bill from another shop I decided to take things into my own hands.
After a little trial and error I discovered the lower of the three carbs did not appear to be working correctly, so I took it off ad discovered the following,
1. The solinoid body was very loose and was leaking gas
2. Signs of water/corrosion in the carb body
3. The float valve has light corrosion and was stuck in the closed position

After cleaning everything up and putting back together the engine fired right up and appears to finally be cranking out the RPM like it should. Now I just need for the thunder and lightening to stop so I can take my aluminum boat out on the lake for a test run.
In the fall I plan on removing all three carbs and giving complete overhauls.