Boating courtesy to land lubbers

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
ydeardorff
Petty Officer

Boating courtesy to land lubbers

Post by ydeardorff » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 am

I know most of us are courteous boaters, however, this should go without saying...

Please if possible, slow down around those of us not blessed with a boat, fishing from shore.

I know we all want to get up there and get our gear in the water, but come on. I have had my line driven over, waked off of slippery rocks I was standing on. etc. Just like driving a car past a pedestrian, or cyclist,... Please slow down and pass courteously when possible.

Ok, off my soap box now :-"

strider43
Captain

Re: Boating courtesy to land lubbers

Post by strider43 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:33 am

ydeardorff wrote:I know most of us are courteous boaters, however, this should go without saying...

Please if possible, slow down around those of us not blessed with a boat, fishing from shore.

I know we all want to get up there and get our gear in the water, but come on. I have had my line driven over, waked off of slippery rocks I was standing on. etc. Just like driving a car past a pedestrian, or cyclist,... Please slow down and pass courteously when possible.

Ok, off my soap box now :-"

Good Luck
There seems to huge amount of folks that just don't have common consideration for anyone else and we see this everywhere. I have had all the same experiences fishing from the bank and in a boat. Almost being swamped from boat going by way too fast and way too close. I have seen the drag boats on the Snohomish river deliberately try to provoke fisherman on the river. Once when they were coming back in at the Rotary park launch they all smelled like booze and the park cop was down on the dock and several people told him about the drag boaters behavior and the guy's only response was "aren't they cool boats" so as usual we are alone out there. Be careful.

Billm
Angler

Post by Billm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:02 am

I totally agree. I have a boat and have had many inconsiderate boaters come way too close and too fast. People don't stop and think about others. It's become a me, me society. Too sad.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:26 am

I'm a bank angler and understand the frustration. Some boaters are just jerks, but also keep in mind that the boat that's up on plane is usually displacing less wake than one riding slow and low in the water, so they might actually be thinking of the bank angler in that regard. Additionally, on many of our rivers the boats need to be up on plane to safely navigate the river due to shallow areas, fast moving water, or other obstacles. Sometimes I wish motorized boats were not allowed on the non-tidal sections of our rivers, but since they are, we have to share. Before cursing the guy who tore by you first think about if he was actually trying to be a jerk or not. I've had my situations with the actual jerks and I can only hope Karma is alive and well.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 am

BentRod wrote:I'm a bank angler and understand the frustration. Some boaters are just jerks, but also keep in mind that the boat that's up on plane is usually displacing less wake than one riding slow and low in the water, so they might actually be thinking of the bank angler in that regard. Additionally, on many of our rivers the boats need to be up on plane to safely navigate the river due to shallow areas, fast moving water, or other obstacles. Sometimes I wish motorized boats were not allowed on the non-tidal sections of our rivers, but since they are, we have to share. Before cursing the guy who tore by you first think about if he was actually trying to be a jerk or not. I've had my situations with the actual jerks and I can only hope Karma is alive and well.
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 am

I see lots of people in boats and on the bank getting real butt hurt when other boaters go by disrupting their fun. Yes it's good to be nice when you're on an open part of the river and you can give everyone a break, it's the right thing to do. Do I feel sorry for that guy that wades out till he's got two inches of freeboard on his waders..... Not so much. Do I feel bad for all the people that feel the need to anchor up and fish in the travel lane on the river? Not at all. Do I feel bad when I go by people bank fishing in the travel lane, not at all. If I can, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for them to finish their drift. Do I think twice when they cast and try and hit me and or the boat? never, in fact I hope they hook up so I can spool their reels. And as a side note to anyone who thinks casting at someone is a good idea, it's called first degree assault and I'm not shy about dialing 911. Just because you're fishing doesn't mean you have the right away. Period. Nor do you own your little slice of heaven.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rhodes19
Petty Officer

Post by rhodes19 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:44 pm

You both will end up with a ticket. If you are less than 200 feet from shore, you have to slow down. Any one that casts more than 200 feet is doing great.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:41 pm

rhodes19 wrote:You both will end up with a ticket. If you are less than 200 feet from shore, you have to slow down. Any one that casts more than 200 feet is doing great.
200 feet on a lake yes. River no. Whole different set of rules.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:04 pm

rhodes19 wrote:You both will end up with a ticket. If you are less than 200 feet from shore, you have to slow down. Any one that casts more than 200 feet is doing great.
LOL some River shiny down to 50' wide with a small channel. Worry about yourself and I'll worry about bout my occupants and boat.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 am

I had a situation like this Tuesday. Coming to the ramp at Cambell there are two people fishing. on BOTH sides of a very small dirt ramp for recovering since they barricaded the concrete ramp off. I finally had to yell out that I WAS going to cross someones line if they didnt pull up. both sat and just looked at me with that deer in the headlight look. I finally had to run up and pull my trolling motor up a second before crossing the line on the left side of the ramp and wrapping it up in the prop. Sometimes that courtesy has to go BOTH ways.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm

i just tend to blow right on thru...... Of course im swelling 4' deep behind the boat so the jetski's can have some wakes.....

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm

I blow through too.

ScottinMilton
Petty Officer

Post by ScottinMilton » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am

:thumbdown this thread is just more proof that the problem with us all is our lack of compassion for others. I see people be rude just because they think they can. It is just a shame why cant we all get along? This world is either going to get more crowded or humans will become extinct. I VOTE WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET ALONG WITH EVERYBODY [-X
SCOTT JOHNSON
MILTON WA 98354
15 Boston whaler 50 hp Merc 6hp Merc
19 Arima Seachaser S/T 150 Yamaha 9.9 Yamaha =D>

Lostboy2
Angler

Post by Lostboy2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Yeah after 45-plus years on the water it just about seen it all to me it all boils down to common courtesy do unto others as you would like done to you just not rocket science and sometimes there are just bad apples out there there's only one thing that I know for sure you might not be able to make the situation better but you sure as heck can make it a whole lot worse I say police your own self and the fish God's will take care of the rest

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:47 am

ScottinMilton wrote::thumbdown this thread is just more proof that the problem with us all is our lack of compassion for others. I see people be rude just because they think they can. It is just a shame why cant we all get along? This world is either going to get more crowded or humans will become extinct. I VOTE WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET ALONG WITH EVERYBODY [-X
You nailed it. There has to be common courtesy for each other. I get what some are saying here when there is the lack of common sense and the belief that one thinks he has more of a right to be somewhere than another does: you don't. But aggressive actions only makes things worse. I've seen plenty on the Snohomish during humpy fishing just at the launch to make me never want to go back....almost. Ive also seen guys further up river try to act like they have more right to be at a hole because its their "home river" "is this your home river?" What are you doing at this hole?" F@#*ing pure BS.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 am

The 'claiming' hunting spots got so bad in parts of E-Wa they started making people take apart their camps every year or the WDFW would clean them out. There were soooo many camps you almost could not find a place to park a camper! "We have been using this spot for 30 years"... Still public lands. Still owned by everyone.
Even gets down to the level of the lunchroom at work. Someone new comes in and sits in the 'wrong spot'. "I have been sitting in the same spot for 20 years". No names on the spots, no assigned seating. How are you supposed to know?
Watched some fishing vids of the guys on the pro fishing tours getting into it because they went to fish the same spot. Acted like a bunch of children! Sad and funny at the same time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 am

strider43 wrote:
ScottinMilton wrote::thumbdown this thread is just more proof that the problem with us all is our lack of compassion for others. I see people be rude just because they think they can. It is just a shame why cant we all get along? This world is either going to get more crowded or humans will become extinct. I VOTE WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET ALONG WITH EVERYBODY [-X
You nailed it. There has to be common courtesy for each other. I get what some are saying here when there is the lack of common sense and the belief that one thinks he has more of a right to be somewhere than another does: you don't. But aggressive actions only makes things worse. I've seen plenty on the Snohomish during humpy fishing just at the launch to make me never want to go back....almost. Ive also seen guys further up river try to act like they have more right to be at a hole because its their "home river" "is this your home river?" What are you doing at this hole?" F@#*ing pure BS.
I'm guessing you haven't drifted the Sky very often. I routinely get people tossing gear at us just below the Sultan ramp and of course above the two bit hole along the rip rap, well right in front of it too. The ramps at pinky time are just nuts. Launch your boat and get away. On the pickup, drop a guy off and don't approach the ramp till your trailer is in the water.
There's all kinds of folks with no regard for fellow river rats. Then there's always the "Eagle Watchers" on the upper Skagit that like to blow up their rafts and load them in the middle of the launch for 45 min. to an hour, then the next half hour to fit the PFD's load all their people. One time (@ band camp [tongue] ) a Watcher Guide even had his big propane two burner set up in the middle of the launch [cursing] and was serving breakfast to his folks. When I asked him to move so the huge line of people with trailers could launch their boats, his retort was he was there first. I may or may not have popped his raft getting around it and the stove while backing in. And then of all things, they were tossing peanuts at us on the river (really, peanuts?), apparently we are not supposed to fish where they want to take pictures. There's all kinds, we deal with them one at a time. The drifter is nothing compared to having JetBoat out, I'm guessing it's a jealousy thing. Again one at a time and I hope they park a Sheriff's Deputy at the Rotary launch this year. For some reason it gets really civilized when they're watching.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 am

Bodofish wrote:
strider43 wrote:
I'm guessing you haven't drifted the Sky very often. I routinely get people tossing gear at us just below the Sultan ramp and of course above the two bit hole along the rip rap, well right in front of it too. The ramps at pinky time are just nuts. Launch your boat and get away. On the pickup, drop a guy off and don't approach the ramp till your trailer is in the water.
There's all kinds of folks with no regard for fellow river rats. Then there's always the "Eagle Watchers" on the upper Skagit that like to blow up their rafts and load them in the middle of the launch for 45 min. to an hour, then the next half hour to fit the PFD's load all their people. One time (@ band camp [tongue] ) a Watcher Guide even had his big propane two burner set up in the middle of the launch [cursing] and was serving breakfast to his folks. When I asked him to move so the huge line of people with trailers could launch their boats, his retort was he was there first. I may or may not have popped his raft getting around it and the stove while backing in. And then of all things, they were tossing peanuts at us on the river (really, peanuts?), apparently we are not supposed to fish where they want to take pictures. There's all kinds, we deal with them one at a time. The drifter is nothing compared to having JetBoat out, I'm guessing it's a jealousy thing. Again one at a time and I hope they park a Sheriff's Deputy at the Rotary launch this year. For some reason it gets really civilized when they're watching.
I fish the sky quit a bit, you could say it my "home river". I think perhaps you misinterpreted me. There jerks on both sides of the fence. My only point is that it easier not to be jerk and not have the antics that go with it. I know sometimes they don't allow you any choice though. I have seen the "newbie" idiots who think nothing of blocking ramp access while they ready their gear. Some of us are wired to be more efficient and courteous. Personally I cant even imagine readying my gear while blocking access to the ramp and its completely appropriate to ask someone to move if their doing so. And I've seen bank fisherman yell at guides in boats that come through "their" drift. And I've seen boats literally pull up right in front of of bank Fishermen and anchor after the bankie landed a fish. Jerks everywhere with no consideration for others.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 am

yep, I think a good dose of patience, rainbows, marshmallows and sparkly farts all the way around would be a good thing. I know there're quite a few boating folks that only think about what's in front, not always the best thing and on the other side we have guys that have pulled up on the bank are wading or have a chair set tossing gear into what they perceive as their little slice of the river only to have boats drift and drive through, time and time again, I'm sure very trying for some. Personally, when I was stuck on the bank all I could think about was how I was going to get the boat so I could be the guy drifting by. It's about the mind set, you can get P!$$ed or do something about it. If you don't like your situation, do something about it but, be constructive.
But yeah, sparkly farts and rainbows all the way around would be a great start. And don't forget a chorus of Kum ba yah to wrap it up. I know it sounds funny but I'm 100% serious.

Back when I was stuck on the bank, it wasn't a drift or jet boat going by it was a gill netter with the gear out. You just finish your chapter and reel in your line if it wasn't stripped from the reel and come back another day. Different time and a different place.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Well we can see which side of the fence your on, tight lines dude go catch a big one.