Which Electric trolling motor?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
juggalo
Petty Officer

Which Electric trolling motor?

Post by juggalo » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm planning on buying a new bow mount. I'm considering the minn kota ultera and terrova both with I pilot link For use with my humminbird. Not sure if the I pilot link is worth it. I'm also not sure if the ultera has had the bugs worked out yet. The terrova has been redesigned for 2017 which means they have probably got it all figured out by now. Feel free to throw me any suggestions or input

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Re: Which Electric trolling motor?

Post by cobrar543 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:57 am

I have the Minn Kota and love it. The remote control alone makes it worth its weight in gold. I fish alone to often and it runs the boat. I just have to pay attention every now and then to make sure I am not hitting docks. And yes, there are a few paint transfers on the bow for the times I forget LOL I dont have the auto deploy or recover but my next one will. That is a promise! They also hook up with Humming bird fish finders for even better control

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Re: Which Electric trolling motor?

Post by Fishin'Daze » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I have the Minn Kota power drive V2 with the co-pilot remote control on a 16'10" Smokercraft. I've had this setup for 5 years now and it has performed very well without any problems. Be sure to get good batteries (2) for the electric motor as they are usually good for about 4-5 hours of trolling less with windy conditions and/or more weight in the boat. Keep in mind the size of your boat vs the power and shaft length needed on the electric motor. When I bought mine the co-pilot had more flexibility than the I-pilot because you had to program in your course with the I-pilot. That was 5 years ago things may have changed.