Invasive species sticker for Idaho?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Larry3215
Admiral

Invasive species sticker for Idaho?

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

We fished Coeur d'alene two year ago and stopped on a freeway off ramp somewhere close to Coeur d'alene and got the sticker. But, I am suffering from CRS and cant remember where that was or if we needed to apply ahead of time.

I just spent the last hour trying to find info on the Idaho fish and game website with no luck. The closest I can find is a web form to fill out and submit.

Do they still do it the same way - stop as you cross into Idaho and get the sticker or do we need to pre-apply on-line?

I cant call them until Monday and trying to plan ahead, so any help would be great :)

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Invasive species sticker for Idaho?

Post by BentRod » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 am

We took our kayaks on a week long trip to Glacier last summer. When we drove across the Idaho and Montana borders there were signs directing us off at the first rest area (think it was just before Coeur d'Alene in ID) for watercraft inspection. Since we didn't have motorized watercraft then it was just a visual once over and they gave us a slip of paper indicating we'd passed inspection. That was the extent of it. FWIW

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 am

Larry, the last time I had to be inspected in Idaho it was at the bottom of Forth of July pass on the east side at the scale house.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks guys. I found another link on the parks website that said where they were. The closest one on the Wa side is at the Huetter rest stop just past Post Falls on I90.

Im still not clear on if we need to apply ahead of time, but to be safe, I did the on-line form and they are going to mail a sticker - I think.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Larry,
I bought an Idaho invasive species sticker online once and they did mail it to me. I also remember printing out the receipt and putting it in the glove box of my boat. They told me that would suffice until the sticker got to me.
If you made an online payment to them and print out your receipt, you should be good to go. If you didn't make a payment then you obviously don't have one coming. In that case, and in the future, you can buy them at the Cabelas store at the Washington Idaho border. That's where I get mine. Hope this helps.

Mark

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Mark,
My brother payed the fee on-line. If we pay on-line, or get one from Cabellas, does that mean we DON'T need to stop for the inspection when we cross into Idaho?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 am

No. It does not. Everyone with a boat needs to stop and be inspected, if they pass an inspection point. The inspection normally takes less than 2 minutes. They ask where you're heading, where your boat has been in the water last, walk around your boat, and it's done. However, depending on where you're launching, you may not even pass an inspection point. From my house I never go past one on my way to the lake. I don't dodge them simply because the inspection is so quick. They just aren't on my path to my preferred launch sites. There is a point on eastbound I90, just west of Cda, and another on the westbound side of I90 just east of Wolf Lodge Bay.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 am

Thanks Mark!

We will be up there the second week in May. Thats probably a bit early, but its when my brother could get vacation time. We plan to hit all the spots you showed us plus maybe try trolling for some salmon in the main lake.

Hows the fishing been so far this year?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 pm

I have done ok chasing walleyes because I was going to fish a small tourney at Roosevelt. Unfortunately the weather was going to be real bad that day so we bagged that. I was out of town for the last two weekends do when we fish the big pike tourney this weekend it will be my first pike fishing trip of the year.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Im looking forward to hearing how you do and Im going to wish you the best of luck!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:12 am

Thanks Larry. I'll need it if I'm going to be competitive this year instead of just donating to the winners pot again. [biggrin]