New Boat/Motor thoughts.

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Mike10gs
Petty Officer

New Boat/Motor thoughts.

Post by Mike10gs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi everyone, after a few years of fishing on my little 12ft and old 18ftmarlin that's just a pain sometimes, I have decided I want to get a new boat.
First I dont really want to hear anything negative or why I shouldn't do this or that.
I would like to hear experiences people have had with the route I am going.
I have landed on a smoker craft or Lund boat. I have went to look at some and came across 2 deals that I am trying to decide on.

First is smokercraft 15ft with a 25hp yamaha fuel injected.

Then the Lund boat wc 16ft with 20hp Suzuki fuel injected.

So both Motors are 4 strokes and this will be bought new. The Lund package comes out to be about 1500 more. The Suzuki is electric start. . Yamaha is not, but I get 5hp more. I am still young 26 so I dont mind pulling BUT electric start does sound nice.
They are at seperate dealers.

Then as far as boat goes. Any preferences between Lund or smokercraft. I've read good things about both. I like both but I get one extra ft with lund. I do plan on taking it out on the sound if weather allows me to, but will be doing alot of lake fishing.
Really want to hear about boats experience and really would like to hear your thought between the engines.
Thanks if you took the time to read.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: New Boat/Motor thoughts.

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 pm

I have owned both brands. However both boats were windshield models and longer that what you're talking about. That said, I did enjoy the Smokercraft but the quality of everything in it didn't measure up to the lunds of that same time period. I had several good years out of it and it also had a Suzuki motor that gave me next to no trouble throughout the entire 10 years I owned it. I now own a Lund and couldn't be more pleased. I love everything about it and the quality is there throughout the whole boat. Once again this is an 18' Impact (windshield model). Although my Smokercraft was a 96, I always looked at the lunds and saw that their quality was better at the time. Maybe it's a reputation thing but when I had the smoker, I always said that someday I would own a Lund. Now I'm glad I do. If you research used boats, and I'm guessing you have. You'll likely see that the Lunds hold their value better than the smokers. Smoker craft makes a good boat, but when I looked at them at the boat show and compared them to the Lunds, I felt like Lund was the winner, hands down. I would also interject that even though you are young, and the pull start doesn't bother you now, it very well might some day. Down the road when you're ready to change boats again, the electric start boat might be a bit more attractive to a majority of buyers. That extra foot in length may not sound like much but if you had the chance to fish in the 15'er, then go out in the 16'er, you would probably prefer the one with more room. That's one thing you can never have too much of. Room. Compare the HP of the motors and see what each one is rated at, at the prop. You might just find out that the 20 is not really 5 hp less. My experience in owning both models, along with comparing the details you've given leads me to recommend the Lund. One more thing. Even with 5 more HP, you may want to consider this. Before I sold my 21' bass boat with a 200 hp two stroke that would top out at 65 mph on a good day, I asked myself, just how much time was I saving running out at that higher speed. For the most part, I would run anywhere from 1 to 5 miles from one spot to the next. I knew my new Lund would top out at 45-50 mph, meaning I would only save a few minutes on a long run at the higher speeds. Another valid point is how much money you can save on fuel if you run at lower speeds. I now run a 150/4 stroke. I don't always go balls out, and my gas bill has decreased dramatically. There you have it. I say join the family, and go with the Lund. You won't regret it. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:10 am

Thank you so much AJ's Dad for taking the time and replying. You gave alot of great info.
Trust me I have thought about the Lund boat more. I have gone out on a smokercraft but an 18ft. But as you said. I look at the lunds and just man they look really nice.
I have seen that lunds carry there value pretty good. That extra ft will help that's why I've been leaning more towards it.
But I like to hear both sides and hear suggestions. My fiance told me the Lund boat as well. Lol so the Lund is winning right now. Lol
Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply!

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 am

I think I should also mention that my very first thought was to just buy boat and trailer.
I have a 2001 9.9 mercury 4 stroke in my garage. I have not used it in like 2 yrs. I know it will need some tuning up but I know it works.
So I was just going to throw that on it. I dont want to always go fast and I know the merc wont get my up fast but I i troll for most of my fishing so it doesn't bother me there. But when I saw a new motor I kind of thought well maybe i can take the mercury in get it going good and sell it. I would save around 3000 if i dont buy a new motor but i kind of want to just start and get out there. Any suggestions on this too is appreciated. Thanks

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:24 am

Two brands I did not look at when buying my boat. You did not say what your budget is but you may want to consider the hewecraft sportsman 160. At 16.5 feet with a 60hp engine and full canvas its a very nice setup. I also would say their build quality is top rate.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply beeman.
My budget is no more than 11 to 12k. I know I can find used but I dont want to go through someone else's problems, did that already.
I want to get new and yes I have looked at all welded boats. I would love one but they are too pricey at the moment. Maybe when I'm older and go through one that I'm looking to get. I looked at Gregor but not much luck. I really have liked the smokercraft and Lund brands. For obviously being more affordable to start out with.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:49 am

I think you would be happy with either, but even when I was young (a long time ago...) I would have preferred the electric start over the 5 extra HP even though it adds another layer with the battery and some electrics. The starter adds some weight though, so the total weight addition between battery and starter system will be noticeable. I think you will eventually be glad you got the electric start if you go that way.
My brother in law is a Lund die hard and I like his boat a lot after fishing in it. Not enough to make me sell mine and get one though! For me it came down to the right deal at the right time. I fell into a screamin' deal or I may not have ended up with the Tracker I have now. No complaints though, I have used the crap out of it for the last 15 years or so with no issues.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am

Yea I feel like I'm going to hear the same things. Just like my fiance is telling me. Lol
And I guess if she would ever have to drive or turn it on, it will be much easier for her.
I need to make a decision quick because it's the last 16' or I'll have to wait a few more weekss.atleast in my area.
I never really heard of Suzuki motors till last year honestly but looking them up, they seem pretty good. I feel like anything is as long as you take care of your stuff.
Thanks for your response. I like hearing everyone's experiences. Again looks like the Lund is winning right now.

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 pm

I was on the same track as you in my younger days. In my teens, I started with a 12' Valco powered by a 9.9 hp Johnson. It was a good boat but got small quick when we put 3 people in it. Owning it for 10+ years, I decided it was time for an upgrade. At 26 years old (11 years ago now), I fell into a deal on a used Lund WC16, 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke and a year old trailer. Bought it for $3500 and still have it today.

My thoughts and advice (I'm truly not brand specific):
- Buy the boat that you like most. The 15'-16'size is perfect for lakes and calm days on the sound. I use my boat for trout fishing electric only lakes, crabbing and everything in between. It's very versatile and so are the brands.
- Go with the smaller Hp, electric start motor or none at all.... Reasoning: The electric start will likely recharge your battery which is an awesome feature. Depending on the lakes you fish, 5hp isn't going to be a factor....my 15hp pushes the WC the same in the sound as it does on a small lake. The 15hp 2 stroke pushes my WC16 with 2 people easily on plane at 20mph. More power would be nice for getting on plane; however, I tend to flip flop between gas and electric only lakes. The ease of picking off the smaller motor makes the boat way more versatile. It's a good size and compromise to run the boat.
- Figure out what hull you want and the modifications you may want to make. I bought my WC as a pretty blank canvas. In the 11 years I've had it, I've done kind of 2 major "remodels" to make it better for fishing. Currently, my boat has a front deck, 4 pole holders, a fuel cell compartment and it is great for all types of fishing/crabbing that I do.

In the end, bigger isn't always better. You may just buy a boat and trailer and see how you use it with a 9.9 hp for the first year. It may b a deal where you want a smaller motor but 2 batteries. I don't know. Just my thoughts. Either way, upgrading to a 16ish foot boat will give you lots of versatility t get on small and big waters.

Here's a link to a post I did of some of my mods:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20980&p=215723#p215723

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Hey clarkbre thank you for the response. I checked out your mods on it. I like that!
I keep asking my fiance and she sais the same. Does 5hp really matter. We never want to go fast or are going fast all the time. Just to get where we need to get then we troll mostly.
So yea I guess 5hp does not really matter. Specially on a lake.
Funny you say that, I actually told my fiance maybe I try it with the 9.9 merc the first year then see how I like it. The only thing I have not turned it on ij 2 yrs and dont know if just an oil change and spark plug will do it. I would hope it would just need some tuning if I took it in but dont know how much that would run.
Thanks for your info. I cant stop thinking about going out on a boat.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Here's a link to a post I did of some of my mods:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20980&p=215723#p215723[/quote]

Ah yes, your great link from some years back. I am going to bookmark this link to steal your ideas. (Don’t think of it as stealing, but rather as flattery)

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 am

See next post.
Last edited by hewesfisher on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 am

5hp isn't going to make a hill of beans difference in how fast that boat goes, might see 1 - 1.5mph if that. However, it might make a difference getting on plane with a heavier load. Suzuki has been around for a long time and has a great reputation for reliability. One of the top outboards sold in AK.

Got the wrong engines first time around.

No I don't own a Suzuki but I sure wouldn't rule one out if I were in the market and that's coming from a Merc guy. [wink]

EDIT TO ADD:

Difficult to compare when hp range isn't the same and displacement changes for the Suzuki 25hp but not Yamaha.

The electric start Suzuki is 20lbs lighter (106 vs 126) than the manual start Yamaha.
WOT throttle range for the Suzuki is 5300 - 6300 and Yamaha is 5000 - 6000.
Suzuki 20hp has 327cc vs 432cc for 25hp Yamaha. (25hp Suzuki has 489cc and WOT range of 5000 - 6000rpm)

I could not determine if there is a weight difference between the manual and electric start Yamaha.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks everyone who gave me there experience and advice. I ended up getting the 16'Lund wc with 20hp Suzuki.
Should be ready to pick up Saturday. Super excited.

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am

Congrats, a little envious as I am still waiting for a pickup date for my new one

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

Congrats, Enjoy!!!!!!!

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Awesome! Go get that thing wet!

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 pm

beeman wrote:Congrats, a little envious as I am still waiting for a pickup date for my new one
The set up I got is pretty simple. All they need to do is hook up the motor and the battery. I'm so excited I cant wait. Might go out Sunday morning. Lol
What boat are you getting?

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:13 am

Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:56 am

I think you both have chosen wisely and will enjoy the new boats for a lot of years. Prepare for good times and good memories! Probably some frustration thrown in (it IS fishing after all...) but it will still be fun!