Looking for tips for buying a used boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
BentRod
Admiral

Looking for tips for buying a used boat

Post by BentRod » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 am

For a while I thought this day would never come, but it may becoming a reality. We are thinking of getting a small boat (not my 12' aluminum or kayak) for crabbing/fishing/family fun. This will be used with a budget of ~$10k

My longtime wish is to get a 20'-ish aluminum such as a Hewescraft or something similar, but for a starter we're thinking something like a small (15'-17') Trophy, Arima, or something such.

I've been around boats a long time and feel like I know generally what I want, but now that it might actually be an option I'm left thinking of all the factors that go into the purchase of a used boat.

Things I know I want:

Length is a factor. The parking area is at max about 20' plus a tad, so need to account for trailer tongue and prop.
Outboard motor. Don't really want to deal with an I/O
Galvanized trailer
partial to a cuddy (even if small). I've been looking at walk-around models.

I've been cursing the classifieds and there are a number of boats that fit this description, but now is where I start paring out what may or may not be desirable.

It seems like the cheaper boats are powered by 2-stroke O/Bs. From my research, although a 2-stroke would get it done, it seems like a 4-stroke is better for noise and efficiency (gas milage). Therefore, should I only be looking at boats with 4-stroke mains (seems like I should)? And, any O/B brands to stay away from?

Boat brands: Although I thought an Arima would be awesome (which it would be solely for fishing) I've read and been told that they will beat you up in choppy water. If this is going to also be a boat for towing the kids around on a tube, then maybe that's not a good choice, so think Arima might be out for now. So, looking at Trophy, Grady white, Striper, and more recently Campion Explorer, etc.

I don't tend to jump into things without doing my research, so I'm trying to educate myself on what to look for to determine if a boat is or is not a good deal. Obviously for glass there are a number of structural things to look at as well as for any engine, but what else should I be looking for?

I'm sure I've forgotten some other items I had in mind to ask, but this will do for now.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Looking for tips for buying a used boat

Post by BentRod » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:29 am

Here is one that I was looking at yesterday that makes me wonder about all of the above. Thoughts?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/ ... 85584.html

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm

That looks like a good deal for newer 4 strokes. I have a 18' trophy and I like very well. I'd stay away from Arima's, my son-in-law has a 17' and if you like getting wet in choppy water you will, plus they have a small fuel tank. My trophy handles rough water with very little water over the bow and has a 50 gal tank. You can out grade that trailer with Dics. brakes easily.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Agree. How long is your 18’ trophy from tip of tongue to where the prop ends?

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:09 pm

From the tongue to the outboard about 24'. May be longer than you have room for.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Great info. Thanks. Yes, that would be tight. I was estimating a 17’ to be about 20’, so maybe 21’-22’ in reality. Probably doable at that length.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 pm

BentRod, so glad to hear you are taking the plunge. I clearly cannot tell you anything that you don’t already know about boats.
Having just gone through this, I will just say that no matter how much you think a boat you are looking at cannot be beat in terms of meeting your needs in all categories... there is always something actually better just a week or two down the road.
I had a couple boats that I thought I just HAD TO jump on.... in the end what I found was truly the best boat.
Looking forward to hear where the journey takes you.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks Chris. I know you've had your share of experience with boats (of all sizes!). Haha.

I see this as as "starter" boat, so trying not to get too wrapped up in getting the "perfect" boat, but would like it to meet certain criteria and don't want to settle. It's more about recognizing what a fair price is and what features are a must vs. a luxury. Of course I'd love a full package turn-key boat (like the one linked), but if it doesn't have all the amenities, then I need to think about what it will cost to then outfit it afterwards.

As examples, what would I expect to pay for a decent 4-stroke kicker (10hp), something like $1000-$1500? Or if I needed to buy down riggers, do I settle for some cheap used Penn fathom masters for a couple hundred bucks, or just go with the newer electric models (which I love!).....and electronics....and the list goes on and on. Of all these things I know what I'd LIKE, but a lot of it might be more luxury than practical.

One thing I'm trying to educate myself on is visually inspecting a fiberglass hull to determine what is major or minor damage. When my buddy bought his used 24' Trophy it had some cracks on the gunnels where the owner's son had bounced it agains a couple dock pilings. They looked pretty bad to me, but my buddy said it's only on the gelcote....I still don't know how you can tell that. I'm not naive to fiberglass construction as I explored it in fairly good depth back when you were building your pram and wanted to read up on how that's done. I didn't realize I'd have so many questions when this time finally came....kinda surprising myself with how undecided I am on some things.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm

That CL link I previously posted went fast. Must have been a decent price.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:45 am

Outboard question: I had wanted a 4-stroke main, but a lot of boats I’m looking at have a 2-stroke main and a 4-stroke kicker.

Opinions on a Merc 125 saltwater 2-stroke?

Or is it a mistake to go with a 2-stroke at all?

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am

When I bought my Trophy it had a Merc 125 saltwater 2-stroke, and I couldn't get it off the boat fast enough. Just a turd!!!!! Love my Eninrude Etec. 2-strokes are good if you get like a 2000 or later. The newer motors are more fuel efficient and nearly to no smoke. The Etec's start instantly and hardly use any oil, and very quiet.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 am

18ftTrophy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am
When I bought my Trophy it had a Merc 125 saltwater 2-stroke, and I couldn't get it off the boat fast enough. Just a turd!!!!! Love my Eninrude Etec. 2-strokes are good if you get like a 2000 or later. The newer motors are more fuel efficient and nearly to no smoke. The Etec's start instantly and hardly use any oil, and very quiet.
I appreciate the input!

This particular boat is an ‘02, so assuming the OB is too. Still a problem as it’s post 2000?
What kind of problems did you have? Was it underpowered or just unreliable? I’ve never been a Merc fan, but may be a “beggars can’t be choosers” issue.

What size E-tec did you get?

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Mine was a '99 , the saltwater series at idle only runs on two cylinders and the lag time between idle and speed drove me nuts. A big hesitation on putting power to it. I on have two 150 etec's. In 2013 I bought the motor for the Trophy and what a difference. Over the winter I went Canada and picked up a 2007 150 etec, shortly there after I found a 19' Glasply to put it on. Spent seven months installing a new interior and wiring before installing the motor. I am very happy with this combo, great hole shot and 47mph if I want.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 am

18ftTrophy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am
Not a fair comparison, the Etec is a direct injected 2-stroke and the other is not. My DFI Optimax starts just as quickly as an Etec and is just as, if not more, fuel efficient.

The 2+2 Mercs were designed to idle on 2-cylinders and "transition" to 4 when needed. There were car engines that would do this at highway speeds, dropping cylinders not needed to maintain cruise.

Have to compare apples to apples with 2-stroke engines, carb to carb, EFI to EFI, and DFI to DFI. Any DFI will start faster, more fuel efficient, and use significantly less oil, than a carb or EFI 2-stroke. Fact. [wink]

BentRod you cannot "assume" engines will be same year as boat, many, many are not. As a general rule, mid-2000 DFI 2-strokes are quite dependable and rival 4-strokes for fuel economy. I've had the same DFI 2-stroke for over 10yrs and speak from personal experience. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount