Quiet trolling motor

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Quiet trolling motor

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am

I have the I-pilot link, which is synced to my Humminbird Helix 9. I am very happy with it in many ways.
One simple thing that I like is that aren’t solely dependent on using the remote control hanging from your neck, in order to adjust steering or speed control.
So if you are wearing the remote, but you’ve got your hands full, fish, etc. your buddy can just reach over to the Humminbird, and correct steering, speed, etc. Even hit spot lock, drop pins, whatever. Or... let’s say your remote battery runs low. Then run off your graph as well.

One thing though that I have dealt with, and this can be found online if you search a bit... the remote has a lot of issues with the charging cable failing to be seen by remote when plugged into charge. Hook a USB port into your boat for ease.. the cable often fails to recognize any battery source. I had the cable replaced.. worked for awhile, then bad again. This item really ticked me off, otherwise love everything else.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am

Of course it is all dependent on "how you fish"

I've only had experience with the i-pilot but i know some who have went from the i-pilot to the i-pilot link and ill share what i got out from them, as i have also asked the same question of the 2 systems.

1) more memory/storage for spot lock and itracks. only beneficial if you fish a "numerous" amount of lakes or numerous sections of many rivers/reservoirs/big bodies of water. i think we can all agree that the majority of us fish the same usual "couple" of lakes and key in "couple" spots only on a yearly basis.

2) the link can follow a certain contour. really good for the walleye guys...especially them...
for fish suspended in open water...ehh not so much...

3) compatible with a humminbird, which is nice cause you can tap the location you spot lock on certain lake (within distance) and it will take you there

4) Most importantly $$$. Especially when brand new...Unless you like me, buy a cheap powerdrive ($150) and buy a i-pilot kit ($300+)

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 pm

Minn Kota seems to recommend a *lot* of shaft length. Do you think this is really necessary to get the 72" shaft if the bow to waterline is over 34"?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm

I just measured mine. It is roughly 68”. If they don’t make a 68”, then it’s probably 72”. Hard to say exactly from where to where.

I measured gunnel at bow to about the bottom of the hull in the curved bow area. This was about 35”. Of course the water line is quite always above that, maybe 24”?

In my opinion, I never run the motor at full extended depth, usually about 3/4 extended. That is for long haul trolling in deep water. No danger of hitting bottom.
In shallow water I’ll pull it way up to just inches below surface.

Might depend a little on how heavy/deep, your bow rides in the water.
You said 35” is gunnel to water line depth.? That seems far to me.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 am

The 80" shaft on our boat is set to max depth and will still break the surface if any wave action other than slight wind chop.

Unless you're only going to be fishing in smooth water conditions, strongly suggest you follow Minn Kota's advice on shaft length. You start with your bow to water line measurement (34"), then add 5" for rough water conditions (39"). Info below taken direct from their website (I added the equal sign)...
BOW TO WATERLINE = 34" - 44" RECOMMENDED SHAFT LENGTH = 72"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Yeah, I measured and the bow to waterline when it's calm is about 34". If I place the motor just in front of the windshield (I've seen some people do this) it's about 32". I was hoping to get away with the 60" shaft unit since it's the only one I can find in stock *anywhere*, but I might need the 72" unit.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun May 09, 2021 7:54 pm

60” seems awfully short.
Don’t settle for something that ‘Might work’. Just get what allows the basic coverage (AND) the allowance for different water conditions.
Having you ‘bow’ mount motor placed by your steerint console, seems like a bit odd.. just to make a 60” work.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon May 10, 2021 6:06 am

hewesfisher wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 am
The 80" shaft on our boat is set to max depth and will still break the surface if any wave action other than slight wind chop.

Unless you're only going to be fishing in smooth water conditions, strongly suggest you follow Minn Kota's advice on shaft length. You start with your bow to water line measurement (34"), then add 5" for rough water conditions (39"). Info below taken direct from their website (I added the equal sign)...
BOW TO WATERLINE = 34" - 44" RECOMMENDED SHAFT LENGTH = 72"
x2
The Quadfather wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:54 pm
60” seems awfully short.
Don’t settle for something that ‘Might work’. Just get what allows the basic coverage (AND) the allowance for different water conditions.
Having you ‘bow’ mount motor placed by your steerint console, seems like a bit odd.. just to make a 60” work.
x2

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 am

Well, after scouring the web, I was able to find a 24v--80lb--72" shaft Terrova Riptide model available from a shop in Florida, so that's on its way. I've also found some leveling wedge ideas online that should help with the upswept bow issue, so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a new setup (maybe in time to try out the iPilot features before lingcod season closes in the Sound).

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 10, 2021 1:50 pm

:cheers:

MPM
Petty Officer

Post by MPM » Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 am

Argh! The company that *said* they had one in stock (and processed my payment) didn't *actually* have one in stock. I'm back to scouring the web. They're impossible to find right now. I could get an Ulterra (more expensive), but I don't really want to deal with the auto-stow/auto-deploy feature if it happens to malfunction while I'm out (and pay more for it).

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu May 13, 2021 7:41 am

MPM wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm
Yeah, I measured and the bow to waterline when it's calm is about 34". If I place the motor just in front of the windshield (I've seen some people do this) it's about 32". I was hoping to get away with the 60" shaft unit since it's the only one I can find in stock *anywhere*, but I might need the 72" unit.
Please don't do this unless you want to do it twice.

Best lesson in life is doing something to save a few bucks only to have to repeat the process and spend more than doing it right would have cost the first time. Voice of experience from a lesson learned long, long ago...
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount