Deep Fryer recommendation

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Deep Fryer recommendation

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 pm

I have dabbled in deep frying over the years, and never really found the nitch. A few times I tried just using a couple inches of oil in a soup pot on the stove. Learned that this method does not allow the oil to bounce quickly up to temp. when you drop your food in. Plus, you don't really know the temp along the way.
Then I think I used some random fryer somewhere that doubled as a crock pot... never a good idea to buy a product that can't decide what it wants to be. These things usually suffer in both areas.

So tonight I fried up my recent sea bass catch from the Westport Jetty. I cannot say enough good things about this fryer, The Presto, Pro Fry. http://www.amazon.com/National-Presto-0 ... B005FYF7XQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are looking for a quality fryer, this thing heats up a full pot of oil in 7-8 minutes to 375 deg. When you drop your product in, it is sizzle/sizzle, with a short drop in temp as expected. However, it bounces right back on target immediately. I breaded this fish up with some cheapo McCormick's breading mix, and then rolled it in Panko crumbs.
As good as any fish and chips I've had at a restaurant. Good times. Now it's on to calamari.
Attachments
Sea Bass.JPG
Sea Bass.JPG (200.87 KiB) Viewed 14366 times

swb69
Petty Officer

Re: Deep Fryer recommendation

Post by swb69 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:36 am

That looks amazing! My wife uses an ancient fryer that was left in our house when we bought it. It works very well though, and the food is always better than anything that comes from a restaurant. I don't know about squid though, never even been tempted, just looks wrong, LOL.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 am

A good deep fryer is awesome, and no fishermen should be without! Mine is a bit small, I have to do multiple batches. The trick is to keep the fries in the oven while you fry the rest so that it comes out hot and not soggy. And if you user peanut oil it makes them tastes even better.

We've been eating beer battered ling and panko crusted razors with lemon and chives every night for the past couple of days :) The best beer for it is Black Butte Porter, and you fry up some steak cut potatoes and you're eating like 'Merica!

akshay31
Angler

Post by akshay31 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 am

Excellent thread..!!!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:43 am

I bought an outdoor fryer so the splatter and odor stay there too. Caught a nice sale on the 2.5gal propane fryer (they make bigger ones too) here last spring. Awesome little unit, restaurant quality in the back yard. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount