Smoker Pellets

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Augwen
Lieutenant

Re: Smoker Pellets

Post by Augwen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey Motoboat....I use chips and small chunks. The United Grocer in Spokane does carry regular wood chips. They are almost like sawdust, so I mix with a little bit bigger chunks so they will last the whole 4 hours. When I am doing a big piece of meat (13 to 16 lbs) or a turkey, I just use the chunks. For the fish, as my temp is only 170, the smaller stuff will work and last the whole time. Racfish, try the flank steak!!! You get 3 of them in a package and they, as well as a lot of other meat they carry, are great!!!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Moto... there is a Cash/Carry by the ballard bridge, ballard side. I bought a bag recently, but it wasn't 10 bucks. Still though, I felt good with it being maybe 18 bucks.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 am

$18.00 in Ballard?? Wow Its a good price but twice almost from my Cash N Carry. These stores must set their own pricing. I honestly paid $9.99 a bag at the one I go to and they had two varieties of brand names. They also sell wood chips ,wood chunks, and real Lazzaro mesquite. Wow I cant believe the price difference. I will say that in the Rainier valley area BBQ is big big business. Also we have a very diverse race structure. So at the C&C I go to have Tahinis,Grape leaves,Huge Asian selections of food. Lots of Mid east products. So C&C must carry what their neighborhoods needs are. The C&C on 4th South is huge.They carry many products that the one I go to dont have. Owens in Cle Elum sell Traeger pellets for $14.00 a bag. Aqua Quip sells them for the $18.00 a bag also. You can buy a pallet of 100 bags from Traeger direct. Then they are $10.00 a bag.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am

So, I do a Cash N Carry store locator search, based on my zip. The 3 closest stores to me are:

13102 STONE AVE NORTH in SEATTLE, WA
6412 204TH ST SW in LYNNWOOD, WA
1155 NW BALLARD WAY in SEATTLE, WA

Quad mentioned the Ballard store. Has anyone been in the Lynnwood or Seattle (located on Stone Ave) stores? I am curious about there wood pellet, chip, and chunk selection and pricing.

I am surprised by two things. !) That Cash N Carry is associated with Whole Foods, only because I did not know that. Seems I have come across more than a few comments regarding the quality of food and products found at Whole foods.

And 2) Cash N Carry sells a quality beef brand called Iowa beef. Not at all familiar with that brand, any info would be very much appreciated. Info like, is it a well known quality? Sold by other stores?

I am getting all psyched up to do some smoking......of the meat and fish variety...LOL! The wife has no competition with me smoking her doogen's (cigarette's)

I think I will like my smoking habit better. I feel a batch of smoked Jerky coming on.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Iowa Beef is really called IBP Iowa beef Packers. They use American raised cattle and hogs. They are on the NYSE. their symbols are IBP. Look it up in the standard and poors stock guide. I bought their stock back in the 70's and made some good bucks back then. Im real picky with the meat I eat. Itry or at least 90% of what I buy is USA raised cattle. Cash N Carry prices are nothing compared to the rip off store Whole Foods. I cant afford any of their way overpriced products. Cash N Carry 's prices are very competitive and in most cases with the stuff I get there cheaper then most stores. C&C caters to the restaurant businesses. At Costco you buy 250 coffee cups where as at C&C you can buy a rack of 50. So for a single guy like me C&C works best.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 am

I agree with Racfish. I do have a Costso membership and their meat is good but at C&C I can buy a Rib Eye roast, boneless, that weighs 15 to 17 lbs and cut any size steak I want for $5 to $6 a pound. Cut it up, vacuum pack it, freeze it and you are set!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

NO one has shopped at the C&C in Lynnwood or the Seattle store located on Stone lane?

I contacted Cabelas asking if pellets will burn in a Big Chief smoker. Here is there reply:

Answers

Cabelas Expert

The Smokehouse Wood Pellets and Chips, item number IK-550322, could be used with the Smokehouse Products Big Chief™ Front Load Electric Smoker.
18 hours ago

Another poster wanted to know if these pellets would work in a Traeger smoker. Here is that reply:

Answers

Cabelas Expert

The Smokehouse Wood Pellets and Chips – 4-Pack, item # IK-550322, are not recommended for use with your Traeger grill.
Warning: Using any brand of pellets other than Traeger pellets will void the warranty of your Traeger grill. (per manufacturer)
2 weeks, 4 days ago

I find it such a monopoly when a Manufacturer is so caught up in profit, in this case from wood pellets. That it implies one pellet is so different that it will cause problems with the unit, in such a way that it voids the warranty. How long is the warranty on a Traeger?

For all you who have a Traeger and are purchasing the Mid Mountain or Mountain something brand of smoker pellets sold at C&C. Watch out! That is really the Smoke house brand sold under another name. For 10.00 per 20lbs. And even though that pellet brand is working fine in your Traeger, the warranty is now void. On the plus side, you have saved enough $$ on pellets to repair or pay for your unit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Traeger had a contract with Smokehouse to package the Smokehouse pellet in Traeger packaging. Traeger then sells for twice the cost. I only wish more individuals were wise to that sort of marketing. There are some very large poser's out there overcharging for goods, because of a "brand" name on the packaging.

Also contacted the Smokehouse sales dept. I was told a Little Chief does not put out enough BTU's to burn a smoker pellet. But could be used with a combination of chips and pellets in the pan. On the other hand, a "Big Chief" does have a BTU output to burn pellets. The Big Chief burner reaches 750 degrees, while the Little Chief is 450. Found a lightly used Big Chief smoker in a box at a Goodwill for 15.00. Time to plug it in, load it up with pellets, test for function, and if working correctly. Hopefully see smoke pouring out.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am

I tried every trick I could with the Big and Little Chief Smokers. Insulation around them and everything. Unless is was a 90 degree day, in the sunshine, I could not get them to maintain a 180 degree temp. I sold the Big Chief for $10 and the Little Chief for $5. I looked and tried many different smokers sincr then. I have found that for my use an electric was the way to go. I got the Smokin' Tex (you can get the same thing in a Smokin' It for less money). It costs me $.45 for the electricity and $.50 for the chips. as I use a basic dry brine, which is cheap to make. So for a buck and a half say, I can smoke a 30 to 40 lb load of fish. I will not go into the cost of getting the fish! We all know what price that can run. A good insulated, sealed smoker is worth its weight in King Salmon....at least what the Japanese pay for it. [thumbup]

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Moto... there is a Cash/Carry by the ballard bridge, ballard side. I bought a bag recently, but it wasn't 10 bucks. Still though, I felt good with it being maybe 18 bucks.

I finally managed to find my way into a Cash-N-Carry. Interesting lay out inside the store. Similar to Sam's and Costco. Maybe better pricing than either, depending on your purchase. Except, more suited to the restaurant, and deli community.

I noticed two different size bags of pellets offered, a 20lb or 33lbs. Along with a surprising wood selection including: Hickory, Alder, Cherry, Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak available in the 20lb bag. Each costing the same. Only a few offered in the 33lb size.

Quad had mentioned paying close to $20 for a 20lb bag. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that Quad bought the 33lber at the higher price. Not the 20lber.

At the location I shopped. The 20 was under $9. The 33 under $16. And despite what brand is on the bag. From research, I now it is a well known manufacturer, bagging with another brand name.

I love this type of discovery.

And to follow up. Yes the pellets work just fine in the electric smoker. Not to mention a soup can of pellets in the gas BBQ is tasting up all that I grill, and I grill year round. Chicken, ribs, jerky, steak, Salmon fillet's, cod, boneless pork ribs, pork chops, hamburgers too!! Tried the Mesquite with everything beef or fish, Apple for poultry and fish.

Even made my own smoke bacon, once. Was good. too much effort, but good. Did not shrink up after cooking. like processed bacon. Plus tasted less salty, cause it was, and more fresh tasting.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm

score!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Will those work in a pellet stove? And so make the house smell like bacon? :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Well for my Traeger it won't matter because I have had it 7 years. I have had to pay for the repair I made. I just got a new brand at Sportco but haven't used it . Traeger pellets come with LOTS of sawdust.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Amx wrote:Will those work in a pellet stove? And so make the house smell like bacon? :cheers:
House smelling like breakfast bacon, all day long? I don't see a problem! That is one of the best, cooked food smells I can think of. Throw in a hint of sweet smelling pancake batter, and it is time to belly up to the bar. At anytime of day. Breakfast, lunch, supper, or dinner. What the heck, midnight snack, here we come. I could use some pancakes as ear muff's to muffle the revving motors, constantly coming from across the street.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Mike Carey wrote:score!
We think alike!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Augwen wrote:I tried every trick I could with the Big and Little Chief Smokers. Insulation around them and everything. Unless is was a 90 degree day, in the sunshine, I could not get them to maintain a 180 degree temp. I sold the Big Chief for $10 and the Little Chief for $5. I looked and tried many different smokers sincr then. I have found that for my use an electric was the way to go. I got the Smokin' Tex (you can get the same thing in a Smokin' It for less money). It costs me $.45 for the electricity and $.50 for the chips. as I use a basic dry brine, which is cheap to make. So for a buck and a half say, I can smoke a 30 to 40 lb load of fish. I will not go into the cost of getting the fish! We all know what price that can run. A good insulated, sealed smoker is worth its weight in King Salmon....at least what the Japanese pay for it. [thumbup]
Because of your post. I did check out the meat they had. Sure enough, 15-18lb chunk of boneless Ribeye steak @5.39lb. Asked what cut it was. Select is bottom of the barrel but good, Choice is a step above and in the middle of the pack, then comes Prime which is considered finer dinning restaurant quality.

For $5.39 I was certain it would be Select. But it was Choice. Choice has a higher fat content than Select. Which would translate to more tender and more flavor. But if tasted side by side, I doubt a difference would be noticed. Even within each cut tenderness varies. I guess food and how much running the animal did has its affects on tenderness and flavor.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

Cash n Carry have awesome stuff. I love the meat dept. I get my spareribs ,baby backs,pork butts,beef all from them. Its all Iowa Beef or St. Helens usa beef. I shop there twice a week. I have a full pallet of Traeger pellets and that other brand. I have 2 large bags of their Mesquite coals too. Great store.... :cheers:

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:00 pm

racfish wrote:Cash n Carry have awesome stuff. I love the meat dept. I get my spareribs ,baby backs,pork butts,beef all from them. Its all Iowa Beef or St. Helens usa beef. I shop there twice a week. I have a full pallet of Traeger pellets and that other brand. I have 2 large bags of their Mesquite coals too. Great store.... :cheers:
The North Seattle location did not have Traeger brand wood pellets. Just Mountain something or other. Does you store offer a wood pellet bag, larger than 20lbs?