New Smoker

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
spokey9
Captain

Re: New Smoker

Post by spokey9 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:47 am

just did a search for the kit, that's gonna save me at least $300 for another smoker. thanks HereToFish.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I've been using a masterbuilt for almost a year now, haven't had anything come out bad yet. I just ordered the cold smoke kit. To cold or slow smoke salmon, should I have any temp from the main smoker? How much longer should it take?
The salmon I have done so far was at about 160-180 degrees and took around 5-7 hours. Also does anyone have a brine that doesn't use as much salt?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 am

Dave M wrote:I've been using a masterbuilt for almost a year now, haven't had anything come out bad yet. I just ordered the cold smoke kit. To cold or slow smoke salmon, should I have any temp from the main smoker? How much longer should it take?
The salmon I have done so far was at about 160-180 degrees and took around 5-7 hours. Also does anyone have a brine that doesn't use as much salt?
For cold smoke, you should not go over 100 degrees
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:57 pm

megacabcummins wrote:This is one reason I went with a Traeger, you get smoke over a broader range of heat and the temps are more consistant in the cooking chamber. BUT it does not get as low as I'd like, though they do have the cold smoke kit for it that I'd like to pick up. I had a Brinkman bullet smoker but it was so hard to regulate the temperature and always ended up cooking the fish not smoking it, I finally gave up on it and went with the Traeger.

wow you lucked out with your traeger mine was a total failure I upgraded the controller to a blazin grills controller and now it does what it was supposed to do.

Yatabata
Petty Officer

Post by Yatabata » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Check into a cedar built hot house. You can build your own. You can smoke anything and all comes out awesome.