too many squid

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

too many squid

Post by Toni » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:13 pm

So this has been a great year for my catching squid. Trying to figure different things to make. Today I tried stuffed squid...stuffed with Mac and cheese. I really liked it
re.jpg
stuffed squid with mac and cheese
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: too many squid

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 am

that's a blending of two different cultures!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Calamari Almondine, easy and way yummy!

INGREDIENTS:

2 Calamari Steaks
Progresso Garlic & Herb Bread Crumbs
4 eggs
1/3 cup white wine ( Pinot Grigio )
1 ounce of sliced almonds ( 1oz = 1/4 cup )
1 tablespoon butter
1 lemon
olive oil
salt & pepper

PREPARATION:

Add enough olive oil to a medium sized frying pan to thinly cover the surface (a few tablespoons). Set to a medium heat. Wash calamari steaks under water and pat dry. Wisk egg in a bowl and dip the steaks in the egg wash. Cover the steaks with the Progresso Bread crumbs. Add one steak at a time to the pan and cook until golden brown (about 3 minutes per side). Set aside on plate when done. Repeat. *If serving as an appetizer, cut the steaks into bite size pieces.

Lemon, Wine, Butter Sauce:

In the same pan, add the almonds and toast them for about 1 minute. Add butter. When the butter has melted and begins to bubble add the wine. Add the juice from 1/3 of a lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let the sauce simmer for about a minute. It should reduce by about 1/2. Pour sauce over calamari.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:36 am

Shrimp stuffed Squid
Attachments
Stuffed shrimp squid re.jpg
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 am

Looks good Toni. To share a bit more squid info:

Toni as you know; although back in the PNW now, due to a work transfer I spent 25 years in Southern California. While there I was solidly ingrained in the local fisheries. Inshore, offshore, lobsters, striped bass in the reservoirs and chasing trout whenever possible.

When fishing both inshore and offshore waters in the winter and spring live squid was considered candy to a variety of fish. White seabass, yellowtail, sand bass, calico bass and halibut would go zonkers over them.

Although in season you could buy scoops of live squid as bait from the various bait receivers scattered around the harbors; I typically launched the night before and caught my own.

Typically I would run to the back side of Catalina or San Clemente Islands and meter around until I found a cloud of squid on the meter. Once located I would anchor and set out my squid lights. In short order thousands of squid would be swimming around my boat. I had crowder net, basically a 5x5' fine mesh net stretched between a couple 10' fiberglass poles and would scoop the squid with the crowder and immediately dump them in my bait tank. I was running a 3 scoop Pacific Edge bait tank and could hold about 2 scoops or about two 5 gallon buckets of live squid. Then bait tank plugged I would catch a few hours of one eye open zzzzs before fishing for the day.

OK, that was a long read but it had a purpose. At the end of a trip I always had a lot of leftover squid. Much of it was frozen for bait but fresh squid made it's way into the weekly menu rotation.

There are many ways to prepare squid. They are excellent grilled, fried, sauteed baked and a gazillion methods in between. A key thing to remember it that they are bit different than actual calamari. Calamari is more tender than squid and more forgiving when cooking them. Squid has to be cooked hot and fast or low and slow or you'll be eating a mouthful of tasty rubber bands!

Toni go forth, catch and enjoy as many squid as you can. They are tasty critters!