favorite way to cook salmon

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
curado
Admiral

favorite way to cook salmon

Post by curado » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm

i think cedar plank with lots of alder smoke:cheers::thumright =p~
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:favorite way to cook salmon

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:38 am

Cedar planks are good but what I've been using is to cook the salmon on a banana leaf or a bed of lettuce.Cooking it this way keeps the fish extremely moist and I use either Alder or Applewood.After I cook it this way I put it on a cedar plank to serve it.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 am

racfish wrote:Cedar planks are good but what I've been using is to cook the salmon on a banana leaf or a bed of lettuce.Cooking it this way keeps the fish extremely moist and I use either Alder or Applewood.After I cook it this way I put it on a cedar plank to serve it.

On the grill? Great Idea!

I like the cedar plank method, usually with thin slices of onion and lemon on top.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:08 am

Grilled. Because I count calories, and am careful about what I eat and how it's cooked, (I use to love frying a fillet in butter w/spices) I now just put a fillet on some heavy duty foil with rounded up edges, spray a little "I can't believe it's not butter" (no calories or fat) on it, add a little seasoning, I like the Alpine Touch all purpose seasoning, and just put it on the grill (hood closed) at 350 degrees. Man it's great! Nothing fancy here, it comes out very juicy and no taste is compromised or lost cooking it healthier. A 10 ounce wild caught grilled pink salmon fillet is 330 calories, only 3 grams of fat, and goes nicely with a salad.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 am

the other day I took a nice bright pink and put it in my smoker for 20 minutes or so with cherry. after it was pretty heavily smoked I transferred it onto aluminum foil and sealed it up. then I grilled it till it was done. thats my favorite way now because it has a smokey taste and its moist.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:35 pm

big fish lite line wrote:the other day I took a nice bright pink and put it in my smoker for 20 minutes or so with cherry. after it was pretty heavily smoked I transferred it onto aluminum foil and sealed it up. then I grilled it till it was done. thats my favorite way now because it has a smokey taste and its moist.
Now that sounds good. I will try that this week. I will be out at the Hollow the next three days. Can't wait. Thanks.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm

I am with you fellas with the cedar plank, but we discovered topping a salmon filet with mild horseradish, some bread crumbs, sliced mushrooms and baking it at 400 until crusted golden brown. I prefer using panko over bread crumbs.
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Can't say I have a favorite way, but I prefer to grill it just due to ease of clean up. I have tried both cedar and alder planking and have had good and so-so results. When it was good, it was very good.
I also like to poach (in the culinary sense :rabbit:) fillets in aluminum foil with garlic, lemon and onion slices. Always a winner.
Recently I tried doing a crispy skin style with some pink tail fillets. Scaled them thoroughly and then laid them in hot butter in a saute pan until very crisp. This nearly cooked the meat all the way through, so a quick flip and then onto the plate skin side up served along rice pilaf and steamed asparagus. Not bad for my first attempt at this.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Top the fillet with butter, brown sugar, lemon, big chunks of onion, salt and pepper. Wrap it in foil and barbecue it. I also keep it from drying out by drizzling it with beer. My grandfather used to cook it this way and every time I do this, it brings back happy memories. The secret is to always drizzle it with a freshly opened beer. :-"

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am

I grilled a couple King filets last night on cedar planks. The kicker was adding 3 slices of bacon on top of each piece. WOW. If you love bacon, try it. It gave it an amazing taste that reminded me of sitting on the beach in Hawaii and being surrounded by tiny little seahorses.
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:25 am

jens wrote:........reminded me of sitting on the beach in Hawaii and being surrounded by tiny little seahorses.
You sure you weren't smoking something other than the cedar planks? :jocolor:

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:41 am

BentRod wrote:
jens wrote:........reminded me of sitting on the beach in Hawaii and being surrounded by tiny little seahorses.
You sure you weren't smoking something other than the cedar planks? :jocolor:
LOL :cyclopsan :cyclopsan
"One more......."

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:52 pm

I shared this with fishermom in another thread, tried it last night and it was amazing:

Try the pinks as salmon tacos. Awesome! I rolled them in regular taco seasoning you use with ground beef and then fried them in some oil. Seriously the best tacos ever. I used corn tortillas and made fresh pico de galo. Add some cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice, feta cheese, and El Tapatio; you are in for a treat.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 pm

i had coho tonite just smoked in alder with briquets and then cooked. good stuff
Attachments
fish_004_Medium.jpg
fish_004_Medium.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
fish_003_Medium.jpg
fish_003_Medium.jpg (83.08 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU