2012 crabbing?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
ResQ
Captain

2012 crabbing?

Post by ResQ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Any word on when the opener is for the new crabbing season in the puget sound?

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Re: 2012 crabbing?

Post by bassplayer17 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

after the comms and the tribes get theirs [mad]
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:10 am

ResQ wrote:Any word on when the opener is for the new crabbing season in the puget sound?
I checked a few days ago, no word. Last year it was announced in the WDFW news release about this time of year.. online
Best of luck this year!
Here's a link to the news releases: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:46 am

Last year, the dates were announced in Feb.......... phone call or email state game time.......

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 am

Sticking my neck out a little here, looks to me like the crab season for 2012 will be the same as 2011. Citing budget constraints in the state budget, they are only making changes that are considered to be needed. Crabbing wasn't on the list of changes to be made this year. Below is a quote from the commission's meeting of Feb 2011.

"In other action, the commission approved new regulations for the 2011 recreational crab season that reflect a new policy adopted last October to expand sport fishing opportunities for Puget Sound crabbers.

Those new regulations allow sport crabbers to fish for Dungeness crab in Puget Sound five days a week - Thursday through Monday - with a five-crab daily limit. Most of Puget Sound will be open from July through Labor Day.

The exception is Marine Area 7 (San Juan Islands), where crab seasons will open later in the season to protect soft-shell crab. Sport crab fisheries in the southern and eastern portion of Marine Area 7 will run from July 15 through Sept. 30. In the northern portion of Marine Area 7 the sport crab fishery will be open from Aug. 15 through Sept. 30.

Winter crab-fishing opportunities in marine areas of Puget Sound will vary depending on the number of crab still available for harvest after summer catch numbers are tallied."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 pm

The season normally opens on 4th of July weekend.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 am

FYI - if you haven't picked up your Puget Sound Crab endorsement yet, the price this year is now up to $8.25.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:08 am

I always just walk in and say,"give me everything.". Saves a lot of trouble and piece meal licensing later. Even if I'm not going to use it, it's just doing my part to help....... It's just not that expensive, if you're worried about spending $80 for the year, better re-examin priorities.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:44 am

It was more like 100$ for the year, and it does add up when your not the only member of the house that fishes :)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:20 am

Mine was $80 something and the only thing I didn't get was the useless two pole thing so I'm guessing late fees. So realistically how many licenses could you possibly have to pay for? Yours and the Mrs's? Kids don't pay till they're 15,16 and by that point they don't want to be seen in the same county as you, so no cost. I'll say it again, It's still about the cheapest entertainment out there. If the license is too steep, best take up lawn mowing with scissors or something like it. Gotta pay to play, try rec league soccer, football or baseball. No sniveling just buy the license and go fish.20.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 am

New regs are available on line at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01384/wdfw01384.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crab is July 1 for most of PS. Thursday through Monday! Same as last year. San Juan... July 15,,,,thurs-mon...

I'm wondering what I forgot to buy, paid $86 with that now cheap second pole endorsement. Come on Bodo, fork over a couple more bucks for it... LOL It's for charity, the state is broke and needs your money.. ;)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Two pole is the only thing I can't buy. It's stupid, it's only good on junk lakes. Now if it was two pole across the board it would be fine.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Bodofish wrote:Two pole is the only thing I can't buy. It's stupid, it's only good on junk lakes. Now if it was two pole across the board it would be fine.
Just funnin with ya on the cost factor. LOL Agreed, I'd like to see it in more lakes. It is good on Lake Roosevelt but often the two poles get in the way, whatever the lake.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:22 pm

It used to be legal to fish two set ups in Puget Sound. More times then not Id be fighting a fish and the other pole gets a hit. Id set the hook and reel one in then the other feeling for what I thought was the biggest. Then you lose both. One pole is more then enough for me in salt or fresh. JMO. Mine too was 80.00 for everything.
Matt , Fishing Freak and Kochmandoo should have to pay premiums. They catch too too many fish. LOl.