Crawdad trip to Mineral

Our hardshelled friends found here.
bassmaster1
Angler

Crawdad trip to Mineral

Post by bassmaster1 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Had a good trip, got some to take home for eating, finally got to take the daughter on her first Crawdad catching experience. I've only started last year myself and I am totally addicted. Right now all I have are the cheap-o traps from Cabela's. They catch some, but I know some Craws escape. I do plan on buying terry bullard's traps as soon as I get a job again, his stuff impresses me the most out of all that I have looked into. He also offers great ideas and advice on sinking your lines with traps to deal with theft, as I have had people pull my traps right in front of me, my name on my float and all. It's funny when you chew on them and they act as though they don't know right from wrong. I hope to try Riffe lake and Swofford pond, as they both offer some rock in area's, Riffe more than Swofford. Take care all. Bassmaster1

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Crawdad trip to Mineral

Post by BentRod » Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Cool report. Glad you're having fun with it. Keep thinking about trying for crawdads, but don't have the time to commit.
Welcome to the site.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Crawdad trip to Mineral

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I make my own traps two different styles. Both use chicken wire. One trap is a tube shape with two funnel ends. The other is a veggie wodden box with a chicken wire wrap. I put doors on both types to get the crwdads our. I open a can of cat /dog food and let the trap sit with a bouy till I'm ready to quit fishing. They are easy to make. Remember to wash and scrub the crayfish before the hot water bath.
Im with you Bentrod. There is so much going on this time of year between Bass,Summer Steel,salmon and so on. I also do canning this time of year. Good luck to all.
I season my craws with "Old Bay Spice" and cayenne pepper.