First crabbing day of the 2nd season of the year

Our hardshelled friends found here.
MikeFishes
Commander

First crabbing day of the 2nd season of the year

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:47 pm

Anyone go out? Success? Good sized crabs?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:First crabbing day of the 2nd season of the year

Post by A9 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:07 am

Can't wait to get out over Thanksgiving to add crab to the Thanksgiving dinner menu...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 am

So whats the deal with this 2nd crabbing season? I was reading the weekender report and it said there was one but it dosnt say anything about the 2nd season in the regs.

Good idea Sam, that does sound good.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:48 pm

They reopened the season in the areas where the quotas haven't been met. 8-1 and 8-2 are open for like 4 days but most other areas are open until Jan. 2nd I think.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:33 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:They reopened the season in the areas where the quotas haven't been met. 8-1 and 8-2 are open for like 4 days but most other areas are open until Jan. 2nd I think.

Yeah it said something like that in the weekender report. I know it says in the regs that the rules are subject to change and you can get the current regs from the website.

I heard that they are doing good down in Des Miones. My buddy works at a gas station and he said last night a few guys came in a got a WHOLE bunch of propane to cook some crab. He talked top the guys and they said they all limited on dungeness and the crabs were all huge, and they were going home to cook them up.

On another note, I have found that fresh bait works better in Des Miones. Out at westport its the nastiest, grossest stuff you can find that will catch crabs. But at Des Miones its fresh chicken legs.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:38 am

[quote="gpc"]So whats the deal with this 2nd crabbing season? I was reading the weekender report and it said there was one but it dosnt say anything about the 2nd season in the regs.

Here is a cut/paste from the Weekender Report:

Fishing: While chum season is taking off throughout Puget Sound, anglers can troll area rivers for coho or take advantage of the late-season recreational crab season.
Starting Nov. 1, recreational crab fishing will reopen in five marine areas of Puget Sound, including marine areas 6 (eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca), 9 (Admiralty Inlet), 10 (Seattle/Bremerton), 11 (Tacoma/Vashon) and 12 (Hood Canal). Crab fishing in those areas will be open seven days a week through Jan. 2.

Crab fishing will also remain open seven days a week through Jan. 2 in marine areas 4 (Neah Bay), 5 (Sekiu), and 13 (south Puget Sound), where the fishery has continued uninterrupted since June 18.

Those fishing for crab in Puget Sound this fall and winter are required to fill out a winter catch card to record their catch. These winter cards are valid until Jan. 2 and due to WDFW by Jan. 15, 2008. Crabbers can mail in their cards or report their catch on the WDFW website, which will be available Jan. 2, 2008.

The daily catch limit in Puget Sound is five Dungeness crab, males only, in hard-shell condition with a minimum carapace width of 6¼ inches. In addition, fishers may catch six red rock crab of either sex per day, provided those crab measure at least 5 inches across. Additional information is available on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crab/index.htm.

Great to see this,, I will try to go out today.

Chris
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:25 pm

I checked the emergency rule changes on the WDFW website and its in there, all the areas a re open.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 pm

My buddys were down at Des Moines pier last night for a little over an hour. They brought there catch back to my place and they had 4 red rock and a dungeness. The 1 red rock was the biggest red rock that I have ever seen. They were using fresh turkey legs.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Went down last night. Started off with a pot with 2 turkey legs and a pot with some chum salmon. Then put a turkey leg in the pot with the chum salmon and pulled up 3 keeper red rocks. Also caught a bullhead and a spider crab oh yeah and a star fish. We were the only one crabbing and we were only down there for a little over an hour.

2 days a go my buddy went down and limited it 2 pulls on red rocks plus 1 dungeness to boot. Turkey and chicken

I think me and my cousin are going to spend the day down there crabbing on Friday. Probably throw a dart for a black mouth