Squidin' 2014

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Sideburns
Commander

Squidin' 2014

Post by Sideburns » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Well its deep into November, we need a good 2014 Squidin topic to put in our bookmarks bar! No first hand experience, but browsing other unnamed online communities, looks like promising season... Thuroughly enjoyed last years squidin thread.

Found a few claims of over a dozen caught at des moines in october, and a slow start to November. one report of large size squid at des moines and redondo.

Last year was my first squid chasing season, hoping 2014/15 brings in some squid, only caught 2 last season [confused]
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Re: Squidin' 2014

Post by 3footvis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm

It was slow through for me through October then had an epic day at Edmonds a few weeks ago. Squid every cast on the incoming tide, just after dark. Stopped at about 50 cause I didn't want to clean any more & had enough for dinner ;)

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Any particular time or tide? i'd drive 2+ hours for 50 squid i guess. Thanks

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:19 pm

hit Les Davis a few times after work, I get off at 11 to midnight, done fair. A coworker has hit that pier several times a week and has done very well. A buddy has gotten some off Pt. Defiance Boathouse using a small herring and gotten some nice ones, hard to hook them on his rig.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Hit up two docks in the Kitsap area tonight for nothing. Felt like a perfect night too. Ended up seeing 4 small ones brought up by people fishing down on one of the docks. Dunno [confused] Tide was on its way out all night, starting at around 5pm. I believe the squidin' tide will only get better later in the week. With the best looking to be next Friday, Saturday. If I have the time I will be getting out.
Time out regardless of catching is better than sitting at home staring at a box. The wife had fun and we were kidless for a couple of hours. So the evening was a win even if we aren't munching on squid.
Keep the updates and reports going. It's nice to hear when you guys are getting into them.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 am

Sideburns wrote:Any particular time or tide? i'd drive 2+ hours for 50 squid i guess. Thanks
I like the incoming tide just after dark

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm

caugfht 6 squid jigging blackmouth this morning at pt defiance. 2 other boats caught some too. orcas and dolphins around also. I'll post a report soon.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:17 am

Read a report from sunday, downtown seattle waterfront, claims to have limited! [thumbup]

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:13 pm

reading reports of ten pound limits being caught in the south sound... I'm closing up shop and going squidin. Hmm.. des moines, redondo or tacoma? Its incoming tide right now till like 8:30pm im going somewhere...

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Sideburns wrote:reading reports of ten pound limits being caught in the south sound... I'm closing up shop and going squidin. Hmm.. des moines, redondo or tacoma? Its incoming tide right now till like 8:30pm im going somewhere...
i've been down at point defiance almost every morning watching guys load up on squid. am high tide. gettig pretty crowded down there.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:10 am

hit des moines fri and sat night. caught a few, but others left with a couple pounds as we got there. not too crowded, but had lots of company... asain locals were just knocking em dead on both sides of me, while i would catch nothing, with the same jigs. seems like a lot of squid were caught at low tide, in the daylight. ? ...and im pretty sure the hid light i brought scared off squid.

squid seem to be large and more plentiful than last year. gonna try tacoma soon.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:51 am

Sideburns wrote:hit des moines fri and sat night. caught a few, but others left with a couple pounds as we got there. not too crowded, but had lots of company... asain locals were just knocking em dead on both sides of me, while i would catch nothing, with the same jigs. seems like a lot of squid were caught at low tide, in the daylight. ? ...and im pretty sure the hid light i brought scared off squid.

squid seem to be large and more plentiful than last year. gonna try tacoma soon.
at point defiance and probably les davis you don't have to wait till dark. we've been doing well during the morning high tides. the asians doing much better then me, even though I'm using the same jigs right next to them and doing my best to copy them. can't figure that part out. the guy with the black flannel hat seems to be the top dog.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 am

yeah, i made some friends. Starting to figure it out. cast and retrieve seems to be what I was missing more than anything. I see how that covers more water and depths. flannel hat man was pretty drunked up and happy fri night! Did a little research on my lights. The blue wavelength light travels great through clear water, but scatters in cloudy coastal waters. basically makes a super bright spot on top of the water. towards the upper end of the light frequencies, the reddish colors of light cant penetrate water well, and are absorbed, like black absorbs the sun. in the middle of the light spectrum is green-yellow, which spreads out and illuminates the underwater world exponentially better than my blue ebay hid lights. http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oc ... ig6-18.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oc ... ig6-19.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now that Ive ordered green led's, im glad to hear everyone else is catching em during the day... damn it

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am

This is the flood light I have. 50W LED and it has a remote to change the colors. Blue and green definitely perform the best. Also draws in bait fish if you're ever looking to jig for herring. My favorite is incoming through high slack tide. I also tend to find the squid right near the bottom, especially the "jumbos". Redondo is my go to spot if Dash Point is closed. Dash Point closes at dusk unfortunately. But I usually stick around until the security guard finally shows up and makes everyone leave.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Spotli ... lood+light

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:51 am

went to les davis pier last night, snagged about a pound. incoming to high tide, borrowing some light from neighborly fishermen. personal best for me. squid were definately smaller in tacoma than des moines. nice light, mizm05. this is similar to what ive got coming. trying to stay with 12v battery power. : http://www.dxsoul.com/product/hml-n56-w ... .VJRVKsAKA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Kinda wondering if I can submerse it, and drop it down near the squid.
looks like this guy already did it. http://shrimpnfishflorida.yuku.com/topi ... .VJRdLsAKA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 am

mizm05 wrote:This is the flood light I have. 50W LED and it has a remote to change the colors. Blue and green definitely perform the best. Also draws in bait fish if you're ever looking to jig for herring. My favorite is incoming through high slack tide. I also tend to find the squid right near the bottom, especially the "jumbos". Redondo is my go to spot if Dash Point is closed. Dash Point closes at dusk unfortunately. But I usually stick around until the security guard finally shows up and makes everyone leave.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Spotli ... lood+light
Thanks for the link. How do you keep your light powered up? Is there a plug/outlet at the dock you go to? Or is there a way to rig this light to work with a portable battery?

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:12 pm

I have a marine battery (in a minn kota battery box that has DC power ports) and 175Wpower inverter.

The nice thing about the 50W LED is that you get the same amount of lumens as a 500W halogen, at 1/10th of the power draw. I could be out there all night and not worry about my battery running out of juice.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-175-1 ... 9023453768

http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trolling ... 9023501140

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:41 am

so, whats everybodies plans for all the squid they are filling the freezer with, or hope to fill it with? blackmouth bait is laying claim to a large part of mine.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

In the past I've never had any last long enough to get to a fishing season. It ends up being part of a meal. Given away to friends and family. Never or rarely makes it to the freezer. If it did I'd use it for Ling Cod... then maybe Salmon.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:34 pm

4 pounds, new record for me! just after high tide 3pm, saturday, point defiance. fished less than 2 hours in the rain.
Last edited by Sideburns on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.