Crawdads

Our hardshelled friends found here.
deadyote
Petty Officer

Crawdads

Post by deadyote » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:13 pm

A buddy of mine gave me some crawdads last year and I am now hooked on eating those things. I was wondering if anyone can give me a place to put my pots. I live in Puyallup, WA and my buddy got his down on the Columbia. I would like a place a little bit closer.

Fisherman_max
Commander

RE:Crawdads

Post by Fisherman_max » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:21 pm

try lake washington, i hear they pull pots of crawdads all the time down there.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey deadyote, here are the lakes that have crawdads in them in your county:

Pierce County
Alder Lake (Res.)
Clear Lake
Kapowsin Lake
Nisqually River
Silver Lake
Spanaway Lake
Steilacoom Lake
Wapato Lake

A little while ago I did some research and tried to find all the waters in Washington that contain crawfish. This is the thread.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... lakes.aspx
Some great information here. Thanks to all the contributions of WL.com members this list has gotten pretty extensive. I think you should be able to find a good lake in your area to score some craws. Let us know how you do when the season begins here in a week or so.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:32 am

Mmmmmm... crawfish. I just got back from a little trip to Vegas and the buffet at Caesars Palace had five or six little crawfish next to the mound of shrimp (shrimp was everywhere... and Vegas isn't coastal :-& ). I think the crawfish were intended to be a garnish.... but they managed to get on my plate. Aye yeeee!

I have a couple of crawfish traps, but I have yet to take the time to get a decent amount of those tasty little guys.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:23 am

I am not sure about the westside, but if you go back to the Columbia, the mouth of Rock Creek has some of the biggest crayfish in the state. Rock Creek is about 10 miles above John Day Dam. There is a little county park there so you can set up camp and make a fishing trip out of it. Where there is crawfish, there are smallies and there are some nice ones there too. Set your traps out and bring your fishing gear and make a super day out of it. Love those things, there is a creek here in the Yakima Valley that we use to take a screen and wiggle it under the overgrowth on the creek and get oodles of them. Stover Creek in Grandview, you just have to share them with the ticks.

crawdad
Petty Officer

Post by crawdad » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:43 am

The green is very good for crayfish. If you use pots for lake or river bait them with oily fish scraps. Heads and tails. Save those parts and use them in your pots. You can also find them in logs and under rocks in streams. Do not use chicken or catfood for your pots. I hope this helps