new to hunting, pointers? open camps?

All things related to hunting.
drysuperfly52
Commander

new to hunting, pointers? open camps?

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 am

i have my hunters ed classes done with, i have all the gear (i think) i just sold my 270 winchester and want another hunting rifle not sure what to get. i went hunting 2 years ago with an ex and her family and loved it, but i now know nobody that deer hunts. i have the basics down but if i actually took down a deer i wouldnt know what to do next... obviosouly clean/gut but thats where i have no clue.

about me if you have an open camp. i am 25 work full time in a steel mill, easy to get along with very outgoing. safety always comes first for everythign i do. i have an xterra that is ready for almost any trail out there. i am in good shape i can hike all day and in any weather.

i am looking to hunt deer more then elk, i dont need that much meat just a little for some stew.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

schu7498
Commander

Re: new to hunting, pointers? open camps?

Post by schu7498 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 am

Were you thinking of hunting the west side of the mountains or east side? I just got Winchester model 70 .270 short mag last year and love it!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

i am pretty mobile, i would prefere to stay away from kettle falls and north east but i have no problems goign to twisp/wintrop area, or anywhere on the west side.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 am

A .270 is a great deer rifle. Why'd you sell it?
Most of the national forests are open to deer hunting as are many BLM and DNR lands. The state is broken up into GMUs (game management units) each with their own restrictions. Consult the WDFW hunting regs or website for specific rules. I've always been partial to the east side of the state for deer (mule and white tail). Make sure you know the difference on site because in some places the rules differ regarding the two. You'll pretty much only see blacktail on the west side of the state. Sorry, can't help with someone to go with, but hope you find a partner (always recommend hunting with at least one buddy for safety).

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:50 am

i wish i never sold it, money got tight and i had a friend that offered me what i paid for it, so i did what i had to do. i am debating getting another 270, since i just found about 50 rounds in the bottom of my ammo container.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 pm

this year I am going to the east side for Mullies I searched green water last year and didn't see anything but a cougar that I did not have a lics for.

I hunt deer with a 243 and also a 257 weatherby mag both of my kids come with me... I see your further north than me if you want to team up we can do that just I am not used to this forest hunting. I did all my hunting/killing in Nevada with great success. dressing a deer is easy just bring some rope and a sharp knife or knifes w/ a stone or something to sharpen the knife with. or buy quality knifes. stays sharper longer and easier to sharpen with less effort.

I have a 7mm mag I am getting ride of as i want to go to a 300 ultra mag. But a 7mm mag is a good deer and elk rifle. they will all do the trick if the shot is placed right.