Where to hunt??

All things related to hunting.
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Where to hunt??

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm

I just found out today that all Weyerhaeuser forests are closed, even to foot traffic, due to the fire danger. That blew my plans for Sunday. I'm looking at DNR and National Forest right now but have not been out there yet.

Im looking to hunt in or close to GMU460, Snoqualmie. I have an issue with my knee that keeps me from wondering to far from the truck, much less trying to pack out an animal.

Does anyone have any good suggestions where I can drive in most of the way and get off the beaten path a bit? I have an F350 4x4 with off road tires (Toyo M/T).

Thanks
Rich

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Where to hunt??

Post by BentRod » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey Rich. Sorry to hear your plans got screwed up. I'm afraid this won't be much help, but I checked out GMU 460 for the first time last year. Can't say what I saw had much potential for deer and the terrain where we hunted was challenging too. It didn't make me want to go back. There has got to be some better locations out there. Have you considered crossing over to the Cle Elum area?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 am

Yea, I don't mind a reasonable drive. Im also considering the Greenwater area (GMU653).

My only problem is, I have not had a chance to scout anything and I would be relying on maps and hit & Miss.

Sunday is our first scheduled day out, I hope I can scout 1 or 2 places before then. I may just have to take a day off work to do that but I would rather not.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 am

i'm wait'n for that other shoe .... i know i know MR negitive ... but ... i cant see how 90% of this state isnt closed ... like i said in a diff post ... i was up on some state land hunt'n shrooms ... and the conditions scared the heck outta me ... after stalk'n a ruff in the thick stuff and finnalyyyy get'n a eye on him ... when i raised the 'ol 12 ga to wack him it just pop'd in my head ... stand'n there look'n over the front site at the canopy maybe 10-12 ft above my head ... the 1st branch i'd hit maybe 5ft away ... i put the hammer down 'n walked away ... 'n i was kinda scared look'n up at all them crispy branchs/leaves/needles get'n down off that side hill ... i grab'd a branch and the green needles were crispy and there were lotsss of lil brown twigs of die off ... the other thing is with the limited access can you imagine how many others just got their plans ruined and are now look'n at the same places you are ?? ... i'm amazed we havent had more fires on the westside ..... that shelton 1 bout sucked the breath i'd been hold'n rrright outta me when i heard about it ..... LORDY ... DOG

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 am

I'm just hoping we get drenched between now and the beginning of November.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am

I hope the forecast holds up. Rain starting Friday.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

no kid'n ... but it isnt going to be enough to help ... i wonder what they'll do if we miss our season because all the woods are closed ....

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 am

WOW the DNR website has a page "hunter alert" that has actual info on it !!!!! ..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 am

The Naches Trail goes from Lake Keechelus and goes to Naches (almost Yakima). You only cross a couple of roads, I've seen many deer and elk anywhere along the trail. Your rig may be a little big for some spots but you can hit parts of the trail from Cle Elum, Elk Heights, Ellensburg and from Naches. Lots of big open spots to glass for animals. Shirt tail relations in Naches fill plenty of tags, lots o shoot'in to be done. No to mention all the Forest Service land around the pass. Lots of Elk and Deer if you're sneaky and don't spook them.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!